在《老友记》第3集里,Monica做了件让人意想不到的事... ...
01
Text
(加单引号且省略部分字母的地方为连读)
Monica: How desperate am I?
我得多绝望啊?
Rachel: Oh! Good thing Chandler’s not here, he always wins at this game.
幸好钱德勒不再这儿,不然他才是最绝望的。
Monica: I just told my Mom I’d cater a party for her.
我答应我妈帮她准备晚会食物。
Phoebe: How come?
为什么要这样?
Monica: Because I need the money, and I thought that it’d be a great way to get rid of that last little smidgen of self-respect.
因为我需要钱,而且我那点点儿仅存的自尊不要也罢。
Ross: Come on, I think this is a good thing. I don’t think Mom would’ve hired you if she didn’t think you were good at what you do.
拜托,这是件好事啊。如果老妈觉得你做得不好,她不会让你去帮忙的。
Monica: You don’t have to stick up for her. She can’t here you.
你不用替她说好话,她又听不到。
Rachel:Hey! Umm, do you guys have any juice?
嘿!你们有果汁吗?
Joey: Just pickle.
只有泡菜汁。
Chandler: Hey uh, Rach, funny story. I ah, bumped into Joanna on the street yesterday.
嘿,瑞秋,有趣的事,我昨天在街上遇到乔安娜了。
Rachel: My boss, Joanna? Wow, that must’ve been awkward.
我老板乔安娜?哇哦,真是尴尬啊。
Chandler: Well, no, actually she uh, asked me if I wanted to get a drink.
并没有,事实上,她还请我出去喝酒了。
Rachel: You ah, you didn’t say ‘Yes’ to that did you?
你,呃,你没答应对吧?
Chandler: No. No!
不,不!
Joanna: Hello, Rachel.
嗨,瑞秋。
Chandler: Well, not at first.
一开始是没有。
Rachel: What is she doing here?
她在这儿干嘛呢?
Rachel: I don’t understand! Last time you went out with her you said she was a ‘big, dull dud.’
我不懂!你上次和她出去约会还说她是“反应迟钝的笨女人”。
Chandler: Well, I think I judged her too quickly, and this time we were able to take the relationship to the next level.
我觉得我下结论太匆忙了。这次我和她可以进一步发展。
Rachel: Well, last time I almost got fired. You must end it, you must end it now!
上次我差点被开除。你必须赶紧结束,你必须现在就结束!
Chandler: Oh, come on! It’s not like this is an everyday occurrence for me! I mean usually I’m pretty much just in there by myself.
拜托!我又不是天天有艳遇!平常我都是自己睡的。
Rachel: Chandler!! Promise me, you will end it.
钱德勒!!答应我,你会结束的。
Chandler: Okay, I promise, I’ll end it.
好吧,我答应,我会结束。
Rachel: Thank you.
谢谢。
Chandler: I hope you know what I’m giving up for ya, because she’s not just the boss in your office, if you know what I mean.
我希望你能知道我为你放弃了多少。因为她不仅仅是你公司的老板,如果你懂我的意思。
Joey: Yeah-eh-eah! Oh-oh, sorry, I-I knew what he meant.
嗯嗯!抱歉,我懂他的意思。
02
Analysis
Phrase
bump into:无意中遇到,碰到
give up:放弃,交出
Key Sentence
Phoebe: How come?
为什么要这样?
NOTE:
1. 用于口语,意为“怎么回事?为什么?怎么搞的?怎么会这样?...”意义相当于why,但语气较强,侧重“不解、好奇、不满、抱怨、遗憾”等情感意义。
eg: How come he got the job?
怎么他会得到这个职位呢?
可以跟着视频练习文中片段哦~
03
End
Monica的老妈为什么让她去帮忙?Chandler真的会和Joanna分开吗?
扫下方二维码 ↓ ↓ ↓关注微信公众号,
回复“403”就能获得全集链接哦~
END
May you
live the way
you want