【学习笔记】懂你英语 核心课 Level 7 Unit 1 Part 3(IV)On Endurance 4

TED Talk    How I held my breath for 17 minutes?     Speaker: David Blaine   懂你英语第四课

So, I started full focus. 这下我开始全神贯注了。

I completely trained to get my breath hold time up for what I needed to do.  我彻底严格的训练延长屏气时间,做我该做的事。

But there was no way to prepare for the live television aspect of it, being on Oprah. 但不可能完全按照将电视直播的方式而准备,也就是那个奥普拉的节目。

But in practice, I would do it face down, floating on the pool. 练习中,我会面朝下,悬浮在水缸中。

But for TV they wanted me to be upright so they could see my face, basically. 但上电视时,他们却希望我面朝前,以便观众看见我的脸。

The other problem was the suit was so buoyant that they had to strap my feet in to keep me from floating up. 另一个问题是,那身衣服让我易悬浮,所以他们不得不用皮带绑住我的脚保持我不至上浮。

So, I had to use my legs to hold my feet into the straps that were loose, which was a real problem for me.   同时我得用双腿帮助脚站稳在那个松松的皮带里面,那对我来说是非常头疼的事。

That made me extremely nervous, raising the heart rate.   因为它导致我极度紧张,提高了心率。


Then, what they also did was, which we never did before, is there was a heart-rate monitor.    除此之外,他们还装了,我以前从未试过的,就是装了一个心率监测器。

And it was right next to the sphere.它就在放置在我的球型水缸旁边。

So, every time my heart would beat I'd hear the beep-beep-beep-beep, you know, the ticking, really loud.所以,每一次我心跳动时,都会听到哔哔的声音。你知道,那个声音,非常吵。

Which was making me more nervous.  它导致我更加紧张。

And there is no way to slow my heart rate down. 而且我竟然没有办法去降低心率。

So, normally I would start at 38 beats per minute, and while holding my breath it would drop to 12 beats per minute, which is pretty unusual. 一般情况下我的心率是每分钟38次,而且当我屏住呼吸时它会降到每分钟12次,这是可是很不寻常的。

This time it started at 120 beats, and it never went down.    这一次,它却以每分钟120次作为开始,再也没有降下去。


I spent the first five minutes underwater desperately trying to slow my heart rate down. 在水下前5分钟我疯狂的尝试降低心率.

I was just sitting there thinking, "I've got to slow this down. I'm going to fail, I'm going to fail."   当时我只不住地想,“我必须让心率减速我要失败了,我要失败了。”

And i was getting more nervous.   而且我越来越紧张。

And the heart rate just kept going up and up, all the way up to 150 beats. 心率一直飙升,直到每分钟150次。

Basically it's the same thing that created my downfall at Lincoln Center.   其实就是出现了和伦敦中心失败时一样的情况。

It was a waste of O2. 心跳过快浪费氧气. 

When I made it to the halfway mark, at eight minutes, I was 100 percent certain that I was not going to be able to make this.   当我坚持到一半的时候,大概8分钟时,我已经百分百确定我不会成功了。

There was no way for me to do it.  我根本做不到。

【选择】-What is Blaine referring to when he talks about his downful at Licoln Center?   -He wasted too much oxygen due to a higher heart rate.   Blaine在林肯中心的失败也是因为心跳过快浪费空气。

【跟读】His heart rate kepts rising, which led to a waste of oxygen.


So, I figured, Oprah had dedicated an hour to doing this breath hold thing, if I had cracked early it would be a whole show about how depressed I am. 然后,我想,奥普拉贡献一整个小时来做这个水下屏气的节目。如果我早早失败了它就会变成一个描述我失败后如何沮丧的节目。

So, I figured I'm better off just fighting and staying there until I black out, at least then they can pull me out and take care of me and all that. 【填空题】所以,我发现我还是最好强撑着,直到昏过去,至少这样他们可以先把我拉出来再抢救什么的。


I kept pushing to 10 minutes. 我一直坚持到10分钟.

At 10 minutes you start getting all these really strong tingling sensations in your fingers and toes.  在第十分钟时我开始有这种非常强烈的手指和脚趾镇痛的感觉。

And I knew that that was blood shunting, when the blood rushes away from your extremities to provide oxygen to your vital organs.   我知道那是血液分流,也就是血液从肢端回流去为重要的器官供氧。

At 11 minutes I started feeling throbbing sensations in my legs, and my lips started to feel really strange.

在第11分钟,我开始感到腿部的抽搐感,而且嘴唇感觉奇怪。

【选择】-What happens when the body goes through blood shunting?   -Blood flows from the extremities to support vital organs.   血液分流什么概念?


At minute 12 I started to have ringing in my ears, and I started to feel my arm going numb. 在第12分钟我开始耳鸣,而且胳膊开始麻木。

And I'm a hypochondriac, and I remember arm numb means heart attack. 我是个忧郁症患者,我记起任何的麻木意味着心脏病。

【选择】-What does a hypochondriac suffer from?   -They are abnormally worried about their health.

So, I started to really get really paranoid. 于是我开始恐慌起来。

Then at 13 minutes, maybe because of the hypochondria, I started feeling pains all over my chest. 然后在第13分钟,可能由于忧郁症,我感到胸前巨痛。

It was awful.太难受了。

At 14 minutes, I had these awful contractions, like this urge to breathe. 在第14分钟,我有一种强烈的欲望,想要呼吸的欲望。 


At 15 minutes I was suffering major O2 deprivation to the heart.  在第15分钟,我遭受心脏缺氧的症状

And I started having ischemia to the heart. 心脏开始供血不足

My heartbeat would go from 120, to 50, to 150, to 40, to 20, to 150 again.  心率从120,下降到50,又从150到40,20,又到150。

It would skip a beat. It would start. It would stop.  And I felt all this. 它会忽然停跳一拍,时而开始,时而停止。而且我能感受到这发生的一切。

And I was sure that I was going to have a heart attack. 我很确定我快要心脏病了。

So, at 16 minutes what I did was I slid my feet out because I knew that if I did go out, if I did have a heart attack, 于是在第16分钟,我把脚滑出扣带因为我知道如果我确实要离开水面,或是突发心脏病。

they'd have to jump into the binding and take my feet out before pulling me up.   【填空题】他们会先跳进来松开我的脚上的扣带再拉我出水。

So, I was really nervous.   所以我非常紧张。


So, I let my feet out, and i started floating to the top.    我松开了我的脚,开始任由身体上浮。

And I didn't take my head out.    但我没有把头伸出水面。

But I was just floating there waiting for my heart to stop, just waiting.    我只是,等待我心跳停止的那一刻... 等待着... 

They had doctors with the "pst," you know, so, sitting there waiting.    你知道他们有神经科的医生坐在那里等着抢救我。

And then suddenly I hear screaming.    突然,我听到尖叫声。

And I think that there is some weird thing, that I had died or something had happened.    我想一定是很疯狂的事发生了,比如我死了之类的。

And then I realized that I had made it to 16:32.    然而我突然意识到,我坚持到了16:32。

So, with the energy of everybody that was there I decided to keep pushing.    在场每一位观众释放出来给予我的能量让我决定继续坚持。

And I went to 17 minutes and four seconds. 我坚持到了,17分30秒。 


As though that wasn't enough, what I did immediately after is I went to quest labs and had them take every blood sample that they could to test for everything and to see where my levels were, so the doctors could use it, once again.   即使那还不够,在出来之后我立刻去了实验室他们尽可能地提取了各处的血液样本以测试所有指标以及我的状况,那样医生就可以把它们记录在案。

I also didn't want anybody to question it. 当然我不希望任何人怀疑。

I had the world record and I wanted to make sure it was legitimate.   【跟读】 我创造了世界纪录,我当然希望确定它是堂堂正正的。


So, I get to New York city the next day, and this kid walks up to me... 这样第二天我去了纽约,有个小孩朝我走过来。

I'm walking out of the apple store... this kid walks up to me he's like, "yo, d!"   我刚走出“苹果”, 这孩子走向我,说,“嘿,大卫!” 

I'm like "yeah?"   我说“怎么了?” 

He said, "If you really held your breath that long, why'd you come out of the water dry?"   他说,“如果你真的可以水下屏气那么久,为什么你从水里出来的时候是干的?” 

I was like"what?"    我没反应过来“什么?” 

And that's my life. so ... 这就是我的生活。你瞧... 


As a magician I try to show things to people that seem impossible. 【跟读】  作为一个魔术师,我试着展现一些东西那些看似不可能的事。

And I think magic, whether i'm holding my breath or shuffling a deck of cards,is pretty simple.   我认为魔术,不管是水下屏气还是捣鼓一副纸牌,道理都很简单。

it's practice, it's training, and it's... it's practice, it'straining and experimenting, while pushing through the pain to be the best that I can be.    【跟读】 【填空】就是练习,训练,以及...就是练习,训练,以及不断尝试。去强忍过那些极痛苦的时刻,做自己能做的一切。 

And that's what magic is to me, so, thank you.   这就是魔术对于我的意义。谢谢你们。

【选择】-How do Blaine's sob reflects his attitude towards his profession?     -He is passinate about his work and dedicates his life to magic.  (He was sobbing...  他发出了呜咽声。)

【选择】-What can we learn from Blaine's presentation?   -It's important to look beyond our limits.

你可能感兴趣的:(【学习笔记】懂你英语 核心课 Level 7 Unit 1 Part 3(IV)On Endurance 4)