摘编/方_忆
In a university commencement address several years ago, Brian Dyson, CEO of Coca Cola Enterprises, spoke of the relation of work to one’s other commitments:
几年前在一所大学的开幕典礼中可口可乐的首席执行官布赖恩·戴森讲到工作与其他义务的关系:
Imagine life as a game in which you are juggling some five balls in the air.
想象生命是一场不停丢掷五个球于空中的游戏。
You name them work, family, health, friends and spirit and you’re keeping all of these in the air.
这五个球分别为工作、家庭、健康、朋友和心灵,而且你很努力地掷着这五个球,不让它们落地。
You will soon understand that work is a rubber ball.
很快地你会了解工作是一个橡皮球。
If you drop it, it will bounce back.
如果你不幸失手落下它,它还是会弹回来。
But the other four balls family, health, friends and spirit are made of glass.
但是家庭、健康、朋友和心灵这四个球是用玻璃做成的。
If you drop one of these, they will be irrevocably scuffed, marked, nicked, damaged or even shattered.
一旦你失手落下,它们可能会少了一角,留下无法挽回的记号、刻痕、损坏,甚至碎落一地。
They will never be the same.
它们将永远不会跟以前一样。
You must understand that and strive for balance in your life. How?
你必须了解这个道理,并且为平衡你的生命而努力。但要怎么才做得到呢?
Don’t undermine your worth by comparing yourself with others.
别拿自己和他人比较,只会降低你原有的价值。
It is because we are different that each of us is special.
因为我们都是独一无二的,因为我们每一个人都很特别。
Don’t set your goals by what other people deem important.
别人认为重要的事不一定是你的目标。
Only you know what is best for you.
只有你才知道什么最适合你。
Don’t take for granted the things closest to your heart.
不要将贴近你心的人或事视为理所当然的存在。
Cling to them as they would be your life, for without them, life is meaningless.
你必须将他们视为你的生命一般好好地抓牢他们。没有他们,生命将失去意义。
Don’t let your life slip through your fingers by living in the past or for the future.
别让你的生命总在依恋过去的种种或是寄望未来中逝去。
By living your life one day at a time, you live ALL the days of your life.
如果你活在每个当下,你就活出了生命中的每一天。
Don’t give up when you still have something to give.
当你还能给予的时候别轻言放弃。
Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
只要你不放弃,就有无限延伸的可能。
Don’t be afraid to admit that you are less than perfect.
别害怕承认你并非完美。
It is this fragile thread that binds us to each together.
正因如此,我们才得以藉由这脆弱的细丝紧密地串绑在一起。
Don’t be afraid to encounter risks.
别害怕遇到危险。
It is by taking chances that we learn how to be brave.
正因如此,我们才得以藉由这些机会学习勇敢。