非认知因素的重要性 2018-04-06-科学learning-022

本系列英文内容来自https://www.edx.org/course/the-science-of-learning-what-every-teacher-should-know,翻译是自己练习,如有发现不妥请批评指正!

Importance of Non-cognitive Factors

非认知因素的重要性

There's emerging consensus in educational research that non-cognitive factors can profoundly affect student learning.

在教育研究中出现了非认知因素可能会深刻影响学生学习的共识。

We hope to demonstrate this to you in the coming sessions, including ways that you can incorporate what we cover into your teaching.

我们希望在接下来的课程中向您展示这一点,包括您可以将我们涵盖的内容融入到您的教学中的方法。

We'll do so through a model created in 2012 by a group of researchers and practitioners affiliated with the University of Chicago, led by Camille Farrington.

我们将通过2012年由Camille Farrington领导的芝加哥大学下属的一组研究人员和从业人员创建的模型来实现这一目标。

It's informed by a comprehensive literature review on the role of non-cognitive factors in shaping school performance.

它通过全面的文献综述来了解非认知因素在塑造学校表现中的作用。

The model conceptualizes the relationships among each of those factors, as well as their ultimate relationship to academic performance.

该模型概念化了这些因素之间的关系,以及它们与学业成绩的最终关系。

So, let's take a look.

所以,让我们来看看。

Near the bottom of the diagram is an orange box labeled academic behaviors.

靠近图底部的是一个标有学术行为的橙色框。

This represents the student behaviors we're used to observing and hopefully eliciting in our classrooms.

这代表了我们过去观察并希望在教室中引发的学生行为。

Things like consistently attending class, arriving prepared and on time, paying attention, mindfully engaging class activities and doing homework.

像持续参加课堂,准备就绪,按时准备,关注,精心参与课堂活动和做作业。

In other words, this is the stuff of learning and what it means to be a good student.

换句话说,这就是学习的内容,以及成为一名好学生意味着什么。

Academic behaviors are in turn influenced by the other factors you see in this model.

学术行为反过来受到你在这个模型中看到的其他因素的影响。

Together they help determine students' academic performance and how well they do in school.

它们综合一起确定学生的学习成绩和他们在学校的表现有多好。

Next, the most broadly influential factor in this model is academic mindsets.

接下来,这个模型中最具影响力的因素是学术心态。

As you'll recall from the last session, mindsets encompass beliefs that students bring to their learning.

正如你回忆上一节课程中所学的那样,心态包含了学生对他们的学习树立信念。

Here again are some statements that capture them.

这里再一次强调它们。

I belong in this academic community.

?我属于这个学术界。

My ability and competence grow with my effective effort.

我的能力和才干随着我的有效努力而增长。

This work has value for me.

这项工作对我有价值。

I can succeed at this.

我可以在这方面取得成功。

Meaningful learning requires struggle, confusion, and even mistakes.

有意义的学习需要挣扎,困惑,甚至是错误。

Now, that last one wasn't in the original paper, but we've added it because it's so essential.

现在,最后一篇不在原始论文中,但我们已经添加了它,因为它非常重要。

And we'll be discussing all five of those statements in coming sessions.

我们将在即将到来的课程中讨论所有这五个方面。

Just below mindsets is academic perseverance, which comprises a diverse but related set of psychological concepts that recently has received increased attention.

思维模式下面是学术毅力,其中包括一组多元化但相关的心理学概念,最近受到越来越多的关注。

It represents the inclination for learners to focus and persist for extended periods of time in the face of distractions and temptations.

它代表了学习者在面对分心和诱惑时长时间的关注和坚持的倾向。【也就是说面对花花世界的诱惑你是否能够坐得住这个学术冷板凳】

It's related to the overlapping concepts of grit, tenacity, delayed gratification, self-discipline and self-control.

它涉及坚韧,韧性,延迟满足,自律和自我控制这些重叠性的概念。

Without these tendencies, high achieving academic performance is difficult.

没有这些倾向,难以达到较高的学业成绩。

And so far there's not much evidence they can easily be taught.

到目前为止,没有太多的证据可以很容易地教授。

To the left of perseverance you'll see social skills.

在毅力的左边,你会看到社交技巧。

While important, we won't focus too much on them, but they include the interpersonal qualities of empathy, cooperation, responsibility, and assertion.

虽然很重要,但我们不会过多地关注他们,但他们包括同情,合作,责任和主张的人际交往的质量。

They capture how students interact and collaborate to learn more effectively from each other.

它们捕捉了学生如何互动和协作,以便彼此更有效地学习。

Finally, learning strategies encompasses study skills and meta-cognitive strategies aimed at helping our students lead their own learning in a self-regulated way.

最后,学习策略包括学习技巧和元认知策略,旨在帮助我们的学生以自律的方式领导自己的学习。

We'll give major focus to learning strategies for at least two reasons.

至少有两个原因,我们将重点放在学习策略上。

First, there's now really good cognitive science research that can be translated into useful teaching strategies to help us improve our instruction.

首先,现在有非常好的认知科学研究可以转化为有用的教学策略来帮助我们改进我们的教学。

Second, that same research can be applied to help our students learn more effectively themselves.

其次,同样的研究可以用来帮助我们的学生更有效地学习自己。

We'll cover all of this in a later session.

我们将在稍后的课程中介绍所有这些内容。

Of course, these non-cognitive factors don't operate in a vacuum.

当然,这些非认知因素不是在真空中操作。

The school and classroom context, included near the top of this model, can shape student achievement in positive or insidious ways.

包含在这个模型顶部附近的学校和课堂环境可以以积极或阴险的方式塑造学生的成就。

School and classroom environments depend on the resources available, policies about grading and tracking, curriculum choices and instructional requirements, safety, student norms and expectations, faculty workload, and school leadership.

学校和课堂环境取决于可用资源,关于分级和跟踪的政策,课程选择和教学要求,安全,学生规范和期望,教师工作量以及学校领导。【这大概是学区房存在的原因吧,好的学区在这方面就比较好】

Equally crucial is the category at the very top, students' broader socio-cultural environment outside of school.

同等重要的是在学校以外的学生接触的更广泛的社会文化环境。

To learn and flourish, all of us require shelter, food, economic security, safety, family stability, and health.

为了学习和繁荣,我们所有人都需要住所,食物,经济安全,安全,家庭稳定和健康。

These factors can profoundly encourage or constrain teacher effectiveness and opportunities for students to learn.

这些因素可以深刻地鼓励或限制教师在学生学习上的成效和机会。

Unfortunately, we can talk all we want about the science of learning and its implications, but if basic classroom and school resource needs are not being met, or important systemic obstacles are in place, it becomes difficult to meaningfully use in classroom the information we're conveying here.

不幸的是,我们可以谈论我们想要的关于学习科学及其含义的所有内容,但是如果基本的课堂和学校资源需求未得到满足,或者存在重要的系统性障碍,则难以在教室中有意义地使用,我们在这里再次强调。【这大概说的就是学习的外因条件吧,小时候爸爸总是说我们给你提供充足的外因条件学习,能不能学的好就看你自己的内因了,原来智慧就在身边呢】

We cannot underestimate or ignore the very real factors creating stark inequalities among our schools, in the lives of our students.

我们不能低估或忽视造成我们学校和学生生活严峻不平等的现实因素。

If they aren't addressed and remediated, it will be very difficult for all of our students to learn in optimal ways.

如果他们没有得到解决和补救,我们所有的学生都将很难以最佳方式学习。

Almost no matter what we do within our schools, regarding teaching and learning.

几乎不管我们在学校内做什么,关于教学和学习。

And this brings us to the last and most important element of this model, the students themselves, their backgrounds, experiences, and characteristics.

这将我们带入这个模型的最后也是最重要的元素,即学生本身,他们的背景,经历和特征。

No other factor shapes our effectiveness as teachers more significantly.

没有其他因素更有效地影响教师的效能。

And it's why we should all practice what one educator called inside out teaching.

这就是为什么我们都应该实践一个教育家所谓的内外教学。

The principle is that effective teaching always begins with the learner.

原则是有效的教学总是从学习者开始。

My first move as a teacher is to consider foremost the students I'm about to engage.

我作为一名教师的第一步是首先考虑我即将到来的学生。

When they walk into my classroom, what prior experiences, knowledge, hopes, aspirations, fears, wants and needs, skills, and questions are they bringing with them? 

当他们走进我的教室时,他们带来了什么以前的经验,知识,希望,抱负,恐惧,需要和需求,技能和问题?【在学习LSAT时很明显同一个班级的学生北京知识希望抱负是各不相同的,这也决定了各自的学习程度及可接受教学难易度】

How will those influence how and what I'll teach them? As David Ausubel said in one of the first textbooks published in 1968 about cognitive science, "The most important single factor influencing learning "is what the learner already knows.

这些将如何影响我将教他们的方式和内容?正如David Ausubel在1968年出版的关于认知科学的第一本教科书中所说的那样,“影响学习的最重要的单一因素”就是学习者已经知道的。

"Ascertain this and teach accordingly."

“查明这些并按照所查明的进行教学。”

翻译学习的科学 系列文章总目录

你可能感兴趣的:(非认知因素的重要性 2018-04-06-科学learning-022)