The Teenage Years青春年少
What's so funny?什么事这么好笑?
What are you writing about?你在写什么?
I'm writing about something I saw earlier this morning.我在写今天早上看到的东西。
Really? Do you keep a journal?真的吗?你记日记吗?
Yes, I do.是的,我喜欢。
Every weekend I write about things that happened during the week.每个周末我都会写一些这周发生的事情。
What does he write about in his journal? things that happened during the week他在日记里写了些什么?一周内发生的事情
How long you've been doing it?你干这事儿多久了?
I've been doing it fairly regularly since high school.我从高中起就经常这样做。
Are you going to turn it into a book?你要把它变成一本书吗?
I don't know.我不知道。
Maybe I will someday but for now it's just for me.也许我会有这样一天,但现在我仅仅为我自己。
To turn something into something else means to transform or rework it, from one thing into another.把一个东西变成另一个东西意味着把它从一个东西变成另一个东西。
So what was so interesting about what you saw this morning?那么你今天早上看到的有趣的事情是什么呢?
I was in the same coffee shop I usually go to and a group of teenagers came in.我在常去的同一家咖啡店,看到一群青少年走了进来。
I couldn't help watching them and trying to hear some of their conversation.我忍不住看着他们,试图听到他们的一些对话。
That must have been interesting.那一定很有趣。
Yes, it was.是的,它是。
The more I watched them the more I realized how glad I am that I don't have to go through that stage of life again.我看得越多,就越意识到我是多么高兴,因为我不必再经历人生的那个阶段。
So it brought back some memorizes?所以它带回了一些记忆?
Yes, it did.是的,确实。
It was so clear how uncomfortable some of them were, yet they were pretending to have a good time.很明显,他们中的一些人是多么不舒服,但他们却假装玩得很开心。
At least, that's how it seemed to me.至少在我看来是这样的。
Why do you think they were pretending?你认为他们为什么要假装?
It was just the way they smiled and laughed.这只是他们微笑和大笑的方式。
It seemed unnatural and overdone, as if they were bad actors.这似乎既不自然又过分,好像他们是坏人。
It seemed to him that some of them weren’t really having a good time.在他看来,他们中的一些人似乎过得并不开心。
Click on the correct choice. It seemed to him that some of them were pretending to have a good time.点击正确的选项。在他看来,他们中的一些人似乎在假装玩得很开心。
A couple of the boys were really awkward around the girls, and two of the girls were wearing too much makeup.有几个男生和女生在一起很尴尬,还有两个女生化了太多的妆。
I had to stop myself laughing.我不得不停止大笑。
Yes, I can imagine it.是的,我能想象。
I can remember wanting to be popular when I was in high school.我还记得我在高中的时候想要受欢迎。
Now that you mention it, it wasn't a great time, though I had some fun too.既然你提到了,那不是一段美好的时光,虽然我也有一些乐趣。
I guess it wasn't so bad at the time, except when I was preparing for my university entrance examinations.我想当时还不算太糟,除了我在准备大学入学考试的时候。
Yes, that was awful.是的,太可怕了。
My parents put tons of pressure on me, so I thought I was going to go crazy.我的父母给我很大的压力,所以我想我要疯了。
He is surprised to hear that his friend is keeping a journal.听说他的朋友在写日记,他感到很惊讶。
This kind of journal is a collection of observations rather than personal experiences.这种日记是观察的集合,而不是个人的经验。
In his opinion, the way they interacted with each other was a bit unnatural and exaggerated.在他看来,他们之间的互动方式有点不自然和夸张。
What about girls?女孩呢?
Did you have any girlfriends?你有女朋友吗?
There was one girl I had a crush on, but I thought she was interested in somebody else.我曾经暗恋过一个女孩,但我以为她对别人有兴趣。
I didn't find out until much later that she was interested in me too.直到很久以后我才发现她也对我感兴趣。
It was a lost opportunity, one of many.这是一个错失的机会,只是众多机会中的一个。
Really? you should become a writer or make a movie.真的吗?你应该成为一名作家或拍电影。
You have a great imagination.你很有想象力。
To be honest, it's much easier to image things than actually do things.说实话,想象事物比实际行动要容易得多。
You can say that again.你说得对。
In his opinion, the way they interacted with each other was a bit unnatural and exaggerated.在他看来,他们之间的互动方式有点不自然和夸张。
What was one of his lost opportunities? He didn't realize that the girl he had crush on was interested in him.他失去的一个机会是什么?他没有意识到他暗恋的那个女孩对他有兴趣。
A group of teenagers came into the coffee shop where he was sitting 一群十几岁的孩子走进他坐着的咖啡馆