Warning by Jenny Joseph

在西方世俗文化中,紫衣配红帽的穿衣风格类似我国的红配绿。 这首诗歌没有采用晦涩的文学手法,十分白话,但其中洋溢的叛逆精神和生命力缺十分让人喜爱。这首诗歌写作于1961年,受这首诗歌的启发,红帽会(The Red Hat Society)这个国际性的女性组织,在1998年于美国成立。至今已在超过三十个国家成立了二万个分会。在今天社团会员在参加活动时,会像诗中所描绘的那样,穿紫衣,戴红帽。


图片发自App


When I am an old woman I shall wear purple

当我变成一个老奶奶,我就一身紫衣装扮

With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.

配一顶红帽子,管它风格搭不搭,颜色对不对。

And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves

我要把养老金拿来买白兰地和夏季手套

And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.

外加一双缎子凉鞋,然后说我们没钱买黄油啦

I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired

累了就往马路上一坐

And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells

狼吞虎咽吃商店送的样品,乱按警报

And run my stick along the public railings

边走边拿棍子在公共栏杆上划

And make up for the sobriety of my youth.

弥补年轻那会儿的谨小慎微留下的遗憾

I shall go out in my slippers in the rain

我要靸着拖鞋去雨里泡

And pick flowers in other people's gardens

到别人园子里去采花草

And learn to spit.

还要学着吐唾沫

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat

你可以穿不像样的衬衣,长得更胖

And eat three pounds of sausages at a go

一口吃下三磅腊肠

Or only bread and pickle for a week

也可以仅用面包和泡菜打发一星期

And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

把钢笔铅笔酒杯垫子统统藏到各种箱子里

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry

可眼下我们必须要衣服保持干爽

And pay our rent and not swear in the street

必须交房租,不得在街上骂骂咧咧

And set a good example for the children.

必须为孩子们树立一个好榜样

We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

我们必须请朋友吃饭,还须看报

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?

不过或许我现在应该练一会儿?

So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised

这样,等我突然老了,开始穿紫袍

When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

认识我的人便不至于大跌眼镜

你可能感兴趣的:(Warning by Jenny Joseph)