blow your own trumpet,翻译成”自吹自擂“,是不是很合理

形容一个人自吹自擂或吹牛,可以用 brag about sth,talk big 或 show off 等等,例如:

She was bragging about her golf game.

她在吹嘘她的高尔夫球技。

要表达向某人吹嘘,在 brag 后面加 to sb,例如:

He bragged to his friends about the crime.

他向朋友炫耀他的罪行。

We dislike those who talk big and do nothing. 

我们不喜欢那种夸夸其谈,不干实事的人。

He's always showing off to his classmates.

他总是向同学炫耀。

习语 blow your own trumpet 的字面意思”吹自己的小喇叭“,那么它的比喻意义就很明显,可以意为”自吹自擂,自卖自夸,大言不惭“,寓意:

to say things that makes your own self or kin look good

说些能让你自己或家人看起来不错的话

to exaggerate the good qualities of your own self

夸大自己的优点

to speak highly about own work

高度评价自己的工作

to show off

炫耀

例如:

The crew tried to blow their own trumpet but the manager did not buy their story.

船员们试图自吹自擂,但经理不相信他们的说法。

解析:在非正式场合,要表达同意某人所说的,可以说:I buy that/it.

I hate people who are always blowing their own trumpet.

我讨厌总是自吹自擂的人。

解析:此句是 who 引导的限制性定语从句,修饰先行词 people.

You have to be humble in your behaviour and for that, the first thing to do is to stop blowing your own trumpet.

你必须举止谦虚,那么首先要做的是停止自吹自擂。

I don't think blowing your own trumpet will get you this job.

我认为自吹自擂不会使你得到这份工作。

解析:动名词短语 blowing your own trumpet 作主语。

She got into the political party just by blowing her own trumpet. She is not capable of running it.

她自吹自擂就进入了政党。她没有能力运行它。

Do you mind not blowing your own trumpet all the time?

你不介意一直自吹自擂吗?

言多必失,人要高调做事,低调做人,就像 actions speak louder than words 和 a man of action 所描述的那样,自吹自擂的人,早晚都要撑死自己。

你可能感兴趣的:(blow your own trumpet,翻译成”自吹自擂“,是不是很合理)