毕业致辞

美国法官的毕业致辞

小约翰·格洛弗·罗伯茨John Glover Roberts, Jr.,1955年1月27日-)是美国律师、法学家、及法官。他目前是第17任美国首席大法官。[1]加入最高法院前,他是美国哥伦比亚特区巡回上诉法庭法官。

约翰·罗伯茨领养了一儿一女,在儿子的初中毕业典礼上致辞;

正文(中英文翻译):

Now the commencement speakers will typically also wish you good luck and extend good wishes to you. I will not do that, and I’ll tell you why.

"通常,毕业典礼的演讲嘉宾都会祝你们好运并送上祝福。 但我不会这样做,让我来告诉你原因。”

From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly, so that you will come to know the value of justice.

“在未来的很多年中, 我希望你被不公正地对待过, 唯有如此,你才真正懂得公正的价值。”

I hope that you will suffer betrayal because that will teach you the importance of loyalty.

“我希望你遭受背叛, 唯有如此,你才领悟到忠诚之重要。”

Sorry to say, but I hope you will be lonely from time to time so that you don’t take friends for granted.

“有点抱歉地说, 我会祝福你时常感到孤独, 唯有如此,你才不会把良朋益友视为人生中的理所当然。"

I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.

“我祝福你人生旅途中时常运气不佳, 唯有如此,你才意识到概率和机遇在人生中扮演的角色, 进而理解你的成功并不完全是命中注定, 而别人的失败也不是天经地义。"

And when you lose, as you will from time to time, I hope every now and then, your opponent will gloat over your failure. It is a way for you to understand the importance of sportsmanship.

“当你失败的时候, 时不时地, 我希望你的对手会因为你的失败而幸灾乐祸, 唯有如此,才能让你意识到有风度的竞争精神之重要。”

I hope you’ll be ignored so you know the importance of listening to others,

“我祝福你会被忽视, 唯有如此,你才会意识到倾听他人的重要性。”

and I hope you will have just enough pain to learn compassion.

“我祝福你遭受切肤之痛, 唯有如此,才能让你感同身受,从而对别人有同情的理解。”

Whether I wish these things or not, they’re going to happen.And whether you benefit from them or not will depend upon your ability to see the message in your misfortunes.

“无论我怎么想, 这些都将在生命中必然发生。 而你能否从中获益, 取决于你是否能从你的不幸中领悟到想要传递给你的信息。”

人们唯有遭遇不公时,才知道公正的价值;懂得感恩和珍惜,勇于面对未知的真相;


此言论一出,惊呆了在座的各位学生和家长,没人想到大法官的“祝福”如此特别,却又如此现实。约翰·罗伯茨更犀利地指出,自己的这些“祝福”无论送不送,在今后的生活中都会发生。因为,那就是生活。最后,他为毕业生深情朗读了美国艺术家鲍勃·迪伦的《永远年轻》,以表达自己对毕业生,也是作为他家长本身,对自己孩子的深切期望:


May God bless you and keep you always;

愿上帝庇佑,护你前路;

May your wishes all come true;

愿你美梦均可成真;

May you always do for others;

And let others do for you;

愿你与人为善,相互扶持

May you build a ladder to the stars;

And climb on every rung;

愿你建成通往群星的天梯;

稳妥沿它而上;

And may you stay forever young;

愿你永远年轻;

May you grow up to be righteous;

愿你成为正直之人;

May you grow up to be true;

愿你成就真实自我;

May you always know the truth;

And see the lights surrounding you;

愿你永远感知真理,看向身边无尽光明;

May you always be courageous;

Stand upright and be strong;

愿你勇敢无惧,坚强可靠;

And may you stay forever young;

愿你永远年轻;

May your hands always be busy;

愿你双手永远忙碌;

May your feet always be swift;

愿你脚步永远轻盈;

May you have a strong foundation;

When the winds of changes shift;

在变故横生之时,愿你根基牢靠;

May your heart always be joyful;

愿你心中永远充满快乐;

May your song always be sung;

愿你的歌声永远嘹亮;

And may you stay forever young;

愿你永远年轻!


May your song always be sung , And may you stay forever young .

你可能感兴趣的:(毕业致辞)