1.to go for broke 全力以赴,孤注一掷
例如:
Okay, I'm going to go for broke and bet all the money I have on my cards. I don't see how anybody can beat what I'm looking at here in my hand."
行啦,这回我得豁出去把我所有的钱都压在这付牌上。我就是不相信任何人能够打败我手上的这付牌。
2.to go through hell or high water 赴汤滔火
例如:
I love my friend John like a brother - I know he'd go through hell or high water for me.
我对约翰就像对待自己的兄弟一样,我知道他会为我赴汤滔火的。
3.to put your best foot forward 留一个好印象
例如:
Better get a haircut before you go to that job interview tomorrow. You want to put your best foot forward because there are twenty other people after the same job.
你明天去那个公司面谈前最好去理一下发。你得给他们一个好印象才行,因为有二十多个人都在争夺这个工作。
4.ants in your pants 很紧张,坐立不安
例如:
The company financial report isn't due until next Friday. But the boss has ants in his pants and wants us to have it all ready for him on Tuesday morning.
我们公司的财务报告应该是下星期五才交。但是,我们的老板紧张得要命,非要我们在星期二早上就交给他。
5.to have butterflies in one's stomach 心里感到七上八下
例如:
Sitting there at my sister's wedding dinner, I had butterflies in my stomach because I know I'd have to stand up and make a speech.
我姐姐结婚那天晚上举行宴会的时候,我坐在那里心里直感到七上八下,因为我知道我得站起来讲话。
6.to bug someone 感到讨厌
例如:
You know what bugs me? Somebody coming a half hour early when you invite them to dinner. Very rude of them, I think. I tell you - it really bugs me!"
你知道什么事情会让我感到讨厌吗?当你请朋友来吃晚饭,某个人早到半个小时。我认为这种人真不懂礼貌。我告诉你,那才叫我讨厌呐。
7.to louse up 弄糟
例如:
The lousy rain has certainly loused up my plans to take my girl friend to the beach today.
这讨厌的雨真是打乱了我的计划。我今天本来准备和我女朋友一起去海边玩的。
8.to get a foot in the door 为了达到一个目的迈出了第一步
例如:
Getting into politics is tough. But Martin got his foot in the door when he volunteered to go around town putting up posters for the Republican candidate for Congress."
要进入政界是很难的。可是,马丁曾经在当地义务地帮助那些共和党竞选国会议员的候选人张贴标语,这样他为能够进入政界迈出了第一步。
9.sour grapes 因得不到而称某物不好
例如:
The loser's scorn for the award is pure sour grapes.
失败者对奖品的轻视纯粹是吃不到葡萄说葡萄酸。
10.peaches and cream 一切都很美好
例如:
Sally and Joe had a big fight last week, but they've made up and now everything is peaches and cream again."
沙莉和乔伊上星期大吵了一场。可是,后来他们互相谈开了,现在他们又很要好了。