康顿庄园节选

Oh, my God

上帝啊

That's impossible.

这不可能

I'll take it up there now.

我这就送去

Don't be stupid. None of them will be up for hours. What difference will it make? Jimmy will do it when he comes in.

别傻了,等他们起床还早呢,不差这一会儿,吉米来了自会去送。

Six o'clock!

六点了

Thank you, Daisy. Anna.

谢谢,黛西。安娜

Just for once in my life.

哪怕这辈子只有一次

I'd like to sleep until I woke up natural.

我真想睡到自然醒

Is your fire still in?

炉火还旺吗

Yes, Mrs Patmore.

是的,帕特莫太太

Oh, my, my, will wonders never cease? Have you laid the servant's hall breakfast?

还真是不可思议啊,仆人们的早餐摆好了吗

Yes, Mrs Patmore.

好了,帕特莫太太

And finished blacking that stove?

炉子擦亮了吗

Yes, Mrs Patmore.

是的,帕特莫太太

What about the bedroom fires?

卧室的炉火呢

All lit, Mrs Patmore.

都生好了,帕特莫太太

Right, well, take your things and get started on the fires on the ground floor.

好的,带上工具去把底楼的火也生了

Now, hurry up.

动作快点

Any sign of William?

见着威廉了吗?

No.

没有

Where have you been?

你上哪儿去了

I'm not late, am I?

我没迟到吧

You're late when I say you're late.

我说你迟了就是迟了

Daisy, whatever are you doing there, crouching in the dark?

黛西,黑灯瞎火的你蜷在那儿做什么?

You weren't here and I didn't like to touch the curtains with me dirty hands.

你不在,我也不想用脏手去拉窗帘

Well, quite right, too. Why didn't you put the lights on?

说得没错,你怎么不开灯?

I daren't.

我不敢

Well, it's electricity and not the devil's handiwork. You'll have to get used to it sooner or later. At Skelton Park, they've even got it in the kitchens.

电又不是什么牛鬼蛇神,你早晚都得习惯的。人家斯凯尔顿庄园连厨房都通上

What for?

为什么呀?

Yes, Mrs Patmore.

好的,帕特莫太太

Breakfast is ready, Mr Carson.

早膳已备好  卡森先生

Ah, William, any papers yet?

威廉  报纸送来了吗

They're late.

送报员迟到了

They certainly are.

见怪不怪

Get the board out so you can do them as soon as they're here.

把板子准备好,报纸一来就可以熨了

Is the library tidy?

书房收拾妥当了吗

Yes, Mrs Hughes.

收拾好了,休斯太太

Good. I want the dining room given a proper going over today. You can do it when they've finished their breakfast.

很好,今天要彻底打扫餐厅,在他们用完早餐后你们就开始。

Oh, heavens, girl! You're building a fire, not inventing it. How many have you done?

天哪,傻丫头,你是要生火又不是钻木取火,还剩几个了?

This is me last till they come downstairs.

主人下楼前最后一个了

Very well. Now, get back down to the kitchens before anyone sees you.

很好,赶紧回厨房免得被人瞧见。

And they're off.

他们起来了

No rest for the wicked.

片刻不得消停

Lady Mary. Are the tea trays ready?

是玛丽小姐,茶盘备好了吗?

All ready, Mrs Patmore,If the water's boiled. Could you give us a hand to take the other two up?

都准备好了,就等水开了,帕特莫太太。你能帮忙把另两个端上去吗?

I've got her ladyship's to carry.

我还要服侍夫人呢

I'll help. Back door.

我来吧,后门有人

The papers, at last. William!

报纸终于来了, 威廉

You're late.

你迟到了

Yeah, I know, but...

是的,我知道,但是

But what?

但是什么 

You'll see.

你看了就知道了

Do The Times first, he only reads that at breakfast. And the Sketch for her ladyship. You can manage the others later, if need be.

先熨《泰晤士报》,老爷他只在早餐时读报纸,再是夫人的《每日见闻报》。如果需要的话,其他的等会儿再说。

Why are their papers ironed?

为什么还要熨报纸

What's it to you?

关你什么事

To dry the ink, silly. We wouldn't want his lordship's hands to be as black as yours.

为了让油墨干透,傻丫头。怎能让老爷的手弄得和你一样脏呢。

Mr Carson, I think you ought to see this.

卡森先生,我想你得看看这个。

I can't make myself believe it.

简直不敢相信

Me neither.

我也是

His lordship's dressed.

老爷更衣完毕

William! Will you stop talking and take this kedgeree up. And mind the burners are still lit.

威廉,别聊天了。把这盘鱼蛋烩饭端上去,小心下面还烧着火呢。

Yes, Mrs Patmore.

好的,帕特莫太太

Is it really true?

这是真的吗

Afraid so.

恐怕是的

Nothing in life is sure.

世事无常啊

Good morning, Carson.

早安,卡森

Good morning, my lord.

早安,老爷

Is it true what they're saying?

他们所言当真

I believe so, my lord.

我想是的,老爷

I'm afraid we'll know some people on it. I don't suppose there are any lists of survivors yet?

恐怕船上还有我们认识的人。幸存者的名单还没公布吧?

I understand most of the ladies were taken off in time.

据我所知大多数女士被及时救出。

You mean the ladies in first class? God help the poor devils below decks. On their way to a better life. What a tragedy.

你是说头等舱的女宾吧?上帝保佑那些下等舱的可怜人儿死后能得以超度。真是灭顶之灾啊。

When Anna told me, I thought she must have dreamt it.

安娜告诉我的时候,我还以为她说梦话呢

Do we know anyone on board?

船上有熟人吗

Your mother knows the Astors, at least she knows him. We dined with Lady Rothes last month. There are bound to be others.

你妈妈认识阿斯特一家,至少认识阿斯特。我们上个月还和罗斯小姐共进晚餐,势必还有其他熟人

I thought it was supposed to be unsinkable.

我以为它永不沉没呢

Every mountain is unclimbable until someone climbs it, so every ship is unsinkable until it sinks.

没有高不可攀的山峰,也没有永不翻沉的船。

Good morning, Papa.

早安,爸爸

Good morning. What's that?

早。那是什么

Just arrived. Telegram.

刚到的  电报

Is her ladyship awake?

夫人醒了吗

Yes, my lord. I'm just going to take in her breakfast.

醒了,老爷。我这就去把早餐端来。

Thank you.

谢了

Hello.

谁啊

May I come in?

我能进来吗

Isn't this terrible? When you think how excited Lucy Rothes was at the prospect. It's too awful for any words. Did J.J. Astor get off? Of course that new wife of his is bound to have been rescued.

简直太不幸了,想起露西·罗斯出发有多兴奋,真是惨到无以言表。阿斯特逃过一劫了吗?

他的新婚妻子肯定获救了。

I've had a telegram from George Murray. One of his partners is in New York.

我收到了乔治·莫里发来的电报,他有位合伙人在纽约。

Yes?

怎么了

It seems James and Patrick were on board.

詹姆斯和帕特里克好像也在船上

What? They can't have been. They weren't going over until May.

什么?怎么可能?他们要五月才出发。

Then they changed their plans. They're on the passenger list.

那就是计划有变,他们的确在乘客名单上。

Thank you, O'Brien. That'll be all for the moment. But surely they were picked up?

谢谢,奥布瑞恩。先就这样吧。但他们肯定获救了吧?

Doesn't look like it.

不尽其然

What? Neither of them? You must tell Mary. She can't hear about it from anyone else.

什么?一个都没救上来吗?你得告诉玛丽?只有你亲口告诉她才行。


你可能感兴趣的:(康顿庄园节选)