《Friends》S01E01 老友记英语学习笔记4:婚姻与冰激凌

​[Scene: A Restaurant, Monica and Paul are eating.]

-Monica: Oh my God!

嗯,天啊。

-Paul: I know, I know, I'm such an idiot.

我知道,我是个大白痴。

I guess I should have caught on when she started going to the dentist four and five times a week.

她每周看四五次牙医时我就该了解,

I mean, how clean can teeth get?

我指牙齿能有多干净?

-Monica: My brother's going through that right now, he's such a mess. How did you get through it?

我哥正承受着这种痛苦,一副失魂落魄的样子。你是怎么熬过来的?

-Paul: Well, you might try accidentally breaking something valuable of hers, say her-

你可以偶然地,砸烂她贵重的东西,比如她的……

-Monica: -leg?

……腿?

-Paul: (laughing) That's one way! Me, I- I went for the watch.

这样也不赖!我……我砸烂了她的表。

-Monica: You actually broke her watch? Wow! The worst thing I ever did was, I-I shredded my boyfriend's favorite bath towel.

你真的砸烂过她的表?哇!我做过的最坏的事情是,我撕碎了男朋友最喜欢的浴巾。

-Paul: Ooh, steer clear of you.

那可惹不得你哦

-Monica: That's right.

对啊。

[Scene: Monica's Apartment, Rachel is talking on the phone and pacing.

-Rachel: Barry, I'm sorry... I am so sorry...

Barry,真是对不起。

I know you probably think that this is all about what I said the other day about you making love with your socks on,

你一定认为此事与我那次说的话有关,关于你做爱时,穿着袜子,

but it isn't... it isn't, it's about me,

其实不是,问题出在我身上,我……

and I ju- (She stops talking and dials the phone.)

Hi, machine cut me off again... anyway...look, look,

电话又掉线了,不管怎么样….瞧瞧

I know that some girl is going to be incredibly lucky to become Mrs. Barry Finkel,

我知道某个女孩将异常幸运地成为Finkel Barry太太,

but it isn't me, it's not me.

但那不是我,不是我。

And not that I have any idea who me is right now, but you just have to give me a chance to...

而我现在连我自己是谁都不知道,但你还应该给我一个机会向你……

(The machine cuts her off again and she redials.)

[Scene: Ross's Apartment; Ross is pacing while Joey and Chandler are working on some more furniture.]

-Ross: I'm divorced! I'm only 26 and I'm divorced!

我离婚啦!我才26岁就离婚啦!

-Joey: Shut up!

闭嘴!

-Chandler: You must stop! (Chandler hits what he is working on with a hammer and it collapses.)

你还是停下来吧!

-Ross: That only took me an hour.

我才花了一小时

-Chandler: Look, Ross, you gotta understand, between us we haven't had a relationship that has lasted longer than a Mento.

看啊,Ross,你应该理解,

You however have had the love of a woman for four years.

但你和一个女人相爱已经四年了,

Four years of closeness and sharing at the end of which she ripped your heart out, and that is why we don't do it! I don't think that was my point!

四年的亲近和分享,最后她把你的心都伤透了,这就是我们为什么不这样做!我认为这并不是我的意思。

-Ross: You know what the scariest part is?

你知道最可怕的地方是什么吗?

What if there's only one woman for everybody, you know?

如果每个人只有一个女人适合,知道吗?

I mean what if you get one woman- and that's it?

就是说如果你拥有一个女人,就成了,

Unfortunately in my case, there was only one woman- for her...

不幸的是,她拥有了一个女人…

-Joey: What are you talking about? 'One woman'?

你在说什么啊?“一个女人”?

That's like saying there's only one flavor of ice cream for you. Let me tell you something, Ross.

那就好像你只有一种口味的冰激凌,让我告诉你,Ross,

There's lots of flavors out there. There's Rocky Road, and Cookie Dough, and Bing! Cherry Vanilla.

还有很多中口味,有巧克力坚果口味,曲奇口味,然后还有香草口味

You could get them with Jimmies, or nuts, or whipped cream! This is the best thing that ever happened to you!

还可以和糖条,果仁,或者奶油一起吃!现在是你一生中最好的事情发生了!

You got married, you were, like, what, eight? Welcome back to the world! Grab a spoon!

你难道是八岁结婚的?欢迎来到现实!拿起勺子!

-Ross: I honestly don't know if I'm hungry or horny.

我真的不知道我是饿了还是饥渴了

-Chandler: Stay out of my freezer!

离我的冰箱远点

[Scene: A Restaurant, Monica and Paul are still eating.]

-Paul: Ever since she walked out on me, I, uh...

自从她离开我之后

-Monica: What?..... What, you wanna spell it out with noodles?

难道你想边吃面条边讲出来?

-Paul: No, it's, it's more of a fifth date kinda revelation.

不,不止要和你第五次约会的事情。

-Monica: Oh, so there is gonna be a fifth date?

噢,那么会有第五次约会喽。

-Paul: Isn't there?

你不想吗?

-Monica: Yeah... yeah, I think there is. -What were you gonna say?

不,我想。你想说什么?

-Paul: Well, ever-ev-... ever since she left me, um, I haven't been able to, uh, perform. (Monica takes a sip of her drink.) ...Sexually.

好吧,自从,自从她离开我之后,我一直不能,不能,过性生活

-Monica: (spitting out her drink in shock) Oh God, oh God, I am sorry... I am so sorry...

噢天那,对不起,对不起…

-Paul: It's okay...

没事

-Monica: I know being spit on is probably not what you need right now. Um... how long?

我知道被人吐口水应该不是你现在需要的,…多久了?

-Paul: Two years.

两年了

-Monica: Wow! I'm-I'm-I'm glad you smashed her watch!

哇哦!我真高兴你砸了他的手表。

-Paul: So you still think you, um... might want that fifth date?

那你还希望有第五次约会吗?

-Monica: (pause)...Yeah. Yeah, I do.

是的,我希望

[Scene: Monica's Apartment, Rachel is watching Joanne Loves Chaci.]

-Priest on TV: We are gathered here today to join Joanne Louise Cunningham and Charles, Chachi-Chachi-Chachi, Arcola in the bound of holy matrimony.

我们今天聚在这里参加Joanne Louise Cunningham 和Charles, Chachi-Chachi-Chachi, Arcola 的神圣婚礼

-Rachel: Oh...see... but Joanne loved Chachi! That's the difference!

哦,看啊,可是Joanne爱的是Chaci! 这就是不同

[Scene: Ross's Apartment, they're all sitting around and talking.]

-Ross: (scornful) Grab a spoon. Do you know how long it's been since I've grabbed a spoon? Do the words 'Billy, don't be a hero' mean anything to you?

“拿起勺子…”你知道我多久没拿勺子了吗?难道“比利,别逞英雄”这句话对你没意义?

-Joey: Great story! But, I uh, I gotta go, I got a date with Andrea--Angela--Andrea... Oh man, (looks to Chandler)

真是个好故事!但是,我得走了,我要和Andrea, 还是Angela, 还是Andrea约会

-Chandler: Angela's the screamer, Andrea has cats.

Andrea是爱尖叫的那个,Angela有猫

-Joey: Right. Thanks. It's Julie. I'm out here. (Exits.)

好啦。谢啦。是Julie. 我走了。

-Ross: You know, here's the thing.

问题来了….

Even if I could get it together enough to- to ask a woman out,.. who am I gonna ask? (He gazes out of the window.)

就算我想,约一个女人出来,我该约谁?

#讲解#

idiot: 白痴

catch on:理解,明白;熟悉情况(常与to连用)

He didn't catch on to what you had implied.

他没有理解你话中隐含的意思。

dentist: 牙医

go through: 经历

mess: 混乱

get through: 结束(做完,通过,到达)

accidentally: 偶然地,意外地

valuable: 贵重的

go for:袭击,攻击

The speaker went for his opponent.

演讲者攻击对手。

worst: 最糟糕的

shred: 撕成碎片

I was shredding top-secret documents at that time.

我当时正把机密文件切碎。

They send a pile of old invoice to be shred.

他们将一堆旧发票送去切成碎条。

The machine can shred all kinds of vegetables.

这台机器可将各种蔬菜切丝切碎。

bath towel: 浴巾

steer clear of: 意思是绕开,避开

steer: 驾驶

pace: 踱步

The lion paced the floor of his cage restlessly.

狮子烦躁地在兽笼里走来走去。

He gets up,and begin to pace up and down the room.

他起身并开始在房间里踱来踱去。

make love: 做爱

with socks on: 穿着袜子

dial: 拨号

incredible: 不可思议

That's the most incredible coincidence I've ever heard of!

那是我听说过的最难以置信的巧合!

He showed an incredible indifference to the matter.

他对这件事表现出令人难以置信的淡漠。

pace: 来回踱步

pace: 踱步

The lion paced the floor of his cage restlessly.

狮子烦躁地在兽笼里走来走去。

He gets up,and begin to pace up and down the room.

他起身并开始在房间里踱来踱去。

divorce: 离婚

divorced adj. 离婚的

Mary's parents, it is said, have got divorced.

据说,玛丽的父母已经离婚了。

The divorced couples are warring over their children.

离婚的夫妻俩为孩子们的归属而争吵。

hammer: 锤子

collapse: 倒塌,崩溃,瓦解

The shack seemed almost ready to collapse.

那小屋子好像是快要倒塌了。

Keep back! The building could collapse at any moment.

别靠近! 那建筑物随时可能倒塌。

gotta=have got to: 必须

relationship: 关系

last: 持续

mento: 曼妥思糖【Chandler说他和Joey与女孩的关系从来没有“长过嚼一颗曼妥思糖的时间 (lasted longer than a Mento) 以劝慰Ross放开一点。】

closeness: 封闭

share: 共享

rip: 拉开,划开,裂开

The poster had been ripped to pieces.

那张广告画已被撕得粉碎。

You should rip the cover off the box first.

你首先应当把这个盒子的封套扯掉。

I will rip him apart with my hands.

我要亲手把他撕成碎片。

scariest: 最可怕的

unfortunately: 不幸的是

flavor: 味道

Grab: 抓

spoon: 匙

honestly: 真诚的,坦白的

hungry: 饥饿的

horny: 性饥渴

freezer: 冰箱

since: 自从

walk out on: (为表示抗议而)离开,抛弃

spell: 说

noodle: 面条

be able to: 有能力

perform: 表演;执行;进行;履行;运转

The surgeon has performed the operation.

外科医生做了手术。

The magician performed some astonishing tricks.

魔术师表演了一些令人惊叹的戏法。

sip: 啜饮,啜

When you drink your soup, don't sip it, but swallow it all in one mouthful.

喝汤时不要啜饮,而应一口吞下去。

He paused to take a sip of water, and then went on (with his story).

他停下来呷了一口水,然後继续讲(他的事).

Bees sip honey from flowers and hum their thanks when they leave.

蜜蜂从花中啜蜜,离开时营营地道谢。

sexually: 性方面的

revelation: 揭露,泄露

spit out: 吐出

in shock: 震惊

smash: 砸

The bottle slipped and smashed to pieces on the floor.

瓶子滑在地上,摔成碎片。

If you smash an egg on a stone, the egg will definitely smash.

用鸡蛋去撞石头,鸡蛋肯定会撞个粉碎。

pause: 暂停

priest: 神父

gather: 聚集

bound: 范围,界限

holy: 神圣

matrimony: 婚礼

scornful: 轻蔑的

He felt humiliated by her scornful remarks.

他听到她那些嘲讽的话而感到屈辱。

screamer: 尖声叫喊的人

gaze: 凝视,注视

stare out: 向外凝视

你可能感兴趣的:(《Friends》S01E01 老友记英语学习笔记4:婚姻与冰激凌)