We All Need Help
I was parked in front of the mall wiping off my car.
我把车停在购物中心前,然后开始擦车。
Coming my way from across the parking lot was what society would consider a bum(流浪汉).
有个人穿过停车场向我这边走来,社会上的人会称他为流浪汉。
"I hope he doesn't ask me for any money," I thought.
“希望他别问我要钱,” 我心里想。
He didn't. He came and sat on the curb(路边) in front of the bus stop. He didn't look like he could have enough money to even ride the bus.
他没有。他坐在公交车站前的路缘上。他看起来甚至没有钱乘公交车。
After a few minutes he spoke, "That's a very pretty car."
几分钟后他开口了:“真是辆漂亮的车。”
He was ragged but he had an air of dignity.
他的衣着破破烂烂,但不妨碍他身上散发出的尊严。
I said "Thanks" and continued wiping off my car. He sat there quietly as I worked.
我说了句“谢谢”, 然后继续擦我的车。我擦车时他就安静地坐在那儿。
"Do you need any help?" I asked.
“你需要帮助吗?” 我问道。
He answered in three simple but profound words that I shall never forget.
他只回答了三个字,但却十分深刻,我想我永远不会忘记。
"Don't we all?" he said.
“谁不是?” 他说。
I was feeling high and mighty, successful and important, above a bum in the street, until those three words hit me like a shotgun. Don't we all?
我本来觉得,与街上的流浪汉相比,我更高尚、更强大、更成功,也更重要,但这三个字像一把枪击中了我。谁不是?
I needed help. Maybe not for a bus fare or a place to sleep, but I needed help.
我需要帮助。也许不是公交车费或睡觉的地方,但我需要帮助。
I reached in my wallet and gave him not only enough for bus fare, but enough to get a warm meal and shelter for the day.
我掏出钱包,不仅给了他公交车费,还有足够让他一整天吃饱睡好的钱。
Maybe the man was just a homeless stranger wandering the streets.
也许这个男人只是无家可归、在街上乱晃的陌生人。
Maybe he was more than that. Maybe he was sent by a power that is great and wise, to minister(帮助) to a soul too comfortable with himself.
也许他的身份又不仅仅是这个。也许他是被一个伟大而智慧的力量送来,来帮助一个过于自满的灵魂。
Don't we all? Those three little words still ring true.
谁不是?这三个字是真理。
No matter how much you have, no matter how much you have accomplished, you need help too.
无论你拥有多少,无论你获得多少成就,你都需要帮助。
No matter how little you have, no matter how loaded you are with problems, even without money or a place to sleep, you can give help.
即使你一无所有,即使你麻烦缠身,甚至是没有钱或没有睡觉的地方,你都可以给予帮助。
我是阁香书院,如果你喜欢看我的英语文章,想看更多的英语文章的话,欢迎关注我,让我们一起学习英语,一起进步吧!