唐顿庄园第1季第1集台词

唐顿庄园第1季第1集台词

英文 中文
Oh, my God. 上帝啊
That's impossible. 这不可能
I'll take it up there now. 我这就送去
Don't be stupid. 别傻了
None of them will be up for hours. What difference will it make? 等他们起床还早呢不差这一会儿
Jimmy will do it when he comes in. 吉米来了自会去送
Six o'clock! 六点了
Thank you, Daisy. 谢谢黛西
Anna. 安娜
Just for once in my life 哪怕这辈子只有一次
I'd like to sleep until I woke up natural. 我真想睡到自然醒
Is your fire still in? 炉火还旺吗
Yes, Mrs Patmore. 是的帕特莫太太
Oh, my, my, will wonders never cease? 还真是不可思议啊
Have you laid the servant's hall breakfast? 仆人们的早餐摆好了吗
Yes, Mrs Patmore. 好了帕特莫太太
And finished blacking that stove? 炉子擦亮了吗
Yes, Mrs Patmore. 是的帕特莫太太
What about the bedroom fires? 卧室的炉火呢
All lit, Mrs Patmore. 都生好了帕特莫太太
Right, well, take your things 好的带上家什
and get started on the fires on the ground floor. 去把底楼的火也生了
Now, hurry up. 动作快点
查看完整请点击
- Any sign of William? - No. -见着威廉了吗-没有
- Where have you been? - I'm not late, am I? -你上哪儿去了-我没迟到吧
You're late when I say you're late. 我说你迟了就是迟了
Daisy, whatever are you doing there, 黛西你蜷在那儿做什么
crouching in the dark? 黑灯瞎火的
You weren't here and I didn't like to touch 你不在我也不想用
the curtains with me dirty hands. 脏手去拉窗帘
Well, quite right, too. 说得没错
- Why didn't you put the lights on? - I daren't. -你怎么不开灯-我不敢
Well, it's electricity and not the devil's handiwork. 电又不是什么牛鬼蛇神
You'll have to get used to it sooner or later. 你早晚都得习惯的
At Skelton Park, they've even got it in the kitchens. 人家斯凯尔顿庄园连厨房都通上电了
What for? 为什么呀
Yes, Mrs Patmore. 好的帕特莫太太
Breakfast is ready, Mr Carson. 早膳已备好卡森先生
Ah, William, any papers yet? 威廉报纸送来了吗
- They're late. - They certainly are. -送报员迟到了-见怪不怪
Get the board out so you can do them as soon as they're here. 把板子准备好报纸一来就可以熨了
Is the library tidy? 书房收拾妥当了吗
Yes, Mrs Hughes. 收拾好了休斯太太
Good. I want the dining room given a proper going over today. 很好今天要彻底打扫餐厅
You can do it when they've finished their breakfast. 他们用完早餐你们就开始
Oh, heavens, girl! 天哪傻丫头
You're building a fire, not inventing it. 你是要生火又不是钻木取火
How many have you done? 还剩几个了
This is me last till they come downstairs. 主人下楼前最后一个了
Very well. 很好
Now, get back down to the kitchens before anyone sees you. 赶紧回厨房免得被人瞧见
- And they're off. - No rest for the wicked. -他们起来了-片刻不得消停
Lady Mary. Are the tea trays ready? 是玛丽小姐茶盘备好了吗
All ready, Mrs Patmore. 都准备好了帕特莫太太
If the water's boiled. 就等水开了
Could you give us a hand to take the other two up? 你能帮忙把另两个端上去吗
I've got her ladyship's to carry. 我还要服侍夫人呢
- I'll help. - Back door. -我来吧-后门有人
The papers, at last. William! 报纸终于来了威廉
- You're late. - Yeah, I know, but... -你迟到了-是我知道但是
- But what? - You'll see. -但是什么-你看了就知道了
Do The Times first, he only reads that at breakfast. 先熨《泰晤士报》他早餐时只读这份
And the Sketch for her ladyship. 再是夫人的《每日见闻报》
You can manage the others later, if need be. 其他的等会儿再说如果需要的话
- Why are their papers ironed? - What's it to you? -为什么还要熨报纸-关你什么事
To dry the ink, silly. 为了让油墨干透傻丫头
We wouldn't want his lordship's hands to be as black as yours. 怎能让老爷的手弄得和你一样脏呢
Mr Carson, I think you ought to see this. 卡森先生我想你得看看这个
- I can't make myself believe it. - Me neither. -简直不敢相信-我也是
- His lordship's dressed. - William! -老爷更衣完毕-威廉
Will you stop talking and take this kedgeree up. 别聊天了把这盘鱼蛋烩饭端上去
And mind the burners are still lit. 小心下面还烧着火呢
Yes, Mrs Patmore. 好的帕特莫太太
- Is it really true? - Afraid so. -这是真的吗-恐怕是的
Nothing in life is sure. 世事无常啊
Good morning, Carson. 早安卡森
Good morning, my lord. 早安老爷
Is it true what they're saying? 他们所言当真
I believe so, my lord. 我想是的老爷
I'm afraid we'll know some people on it. 恐怕船上还有我们认识的人
I don't suppose there are any lists of survivors yet? 幸存者的名单还没公布吧
I understand most of the ladies were taken off in time. 据我所知大多数女士被及时救出了
You mean the ladies in first class? 你是说头等舱的女宾吧
God help the poor devils below decks. 上帝保佑那些下等舱的可怜人儿
On their way to a better life. 死后能得以超度
What a tragedy. 真是灭顶之灾啊
When Anna told me, 安娜告诉我的时候
I thought she must have dreamt it. 我还以为她说梦话呢
Do we know anyone on board? 船上有熟人吗
Your mother knows the Astors, at least she knows him. 你妈妈认识阿斯特一家至少认识他本人
We dined with Lady Rothes last month. 我们上个月还和罗斯小姐共进晚餐
There are bound to be others. 势必还有其他熟人
I thought it was supposed to be unsinkable. 我以为它永不沉没呢
Every mountain is unclimbable until someone climbs it, 没有高不可攀的山峰
so every ship is unsinkable until it sinks. 也没有永不翻沉的船
- Good morning, Papa. - Good morning. What's that? -早安爸爸-早那是什么
Just arrived. Telegram. 刚到的电报
- Is her ladyship awake? - Yes, my lord. -夫人醒了吗-醒了老爷
- I'm just going to take in her breakfast. - Thank you. -我这就去把早餐端来-谢了
Hello. 谁啊
May I come in? 我能进来吗
Isn't this terrible? 简直太不幸了
When you think how excited Lucy Rothes was at the prospect. 一想起露西·罗斯出发有多兴奋
It's too awful for any words. 真是惨到无以言表
Did J.J. Astor get off? 阿斯特逃过一劫了吗
Of course that new wife of his is bound to have been rescued. 他的新婚妻子肯定获救了
I've had a telegram from George Murray. 我收到了乔治·莫里发来的电报
- One of his partners is in New York. - Yes? -他有位合伙人在纽约-怎么了
It seems James and Patrick were on board. 詹姆斯和帕特里克好像也在船上
What? They can't have been. They weren't going over until May. 什么怎么可能他们要五月才出发
Then they changed their plans. 那就是计划有变
They're on the passenger list. 他们的确在乘客名单上
Thank you, O'Brien. That'll be all for the moment. 谢谢奥布瑞恩先就这样吧
But surely they were picked up? 但他们肯定获救了吧
- Doesn't look like it. - What? -不尽其然-什么
Neither of them? 一个都没救上来吗
You must tell Mary. 你得告诉玛丽
She can't hear about it from anyone else. 只有你亲口告诉她才行
Neither of them were picked up, that's what he said. 两个都没被救上来他是这么说的
Mr Crawley and Mr Patrick? 卡劳利先生和帕特里克少爷吗
That's what he said. 他是这么说的
Her ladyship was the colour of this cloth. 夫人惊得面色煞白
Well, it's a terrible shame if it's true. 如果真是这样那就太可惜了
It's worse than a shame, it's a complication. 怎一个可惜了得这下麻烦大了
- What do you mean? - What do you think? -此话怎讲-你说呢
Mr Crawley was his lordship's cousin 卡劳利先生是老爷的堂兄
and heir to the title. 也是爵位继承人
I thought Lady Mary was the heir. 我以为玛丽小姐才是继承人
She's a girl, stupid. 她是个女孩傻丫头
Girls can't inherit. 女孩不能做继承人
But now Mr Crawley's dead 但现在卡劳利先生已故
and Mr Patrick was his only son. 而帕特里克少爷又是他的独子
- So, what happens next? - It's a dreadful thing. -这下如何是好-真是太可怕了
Hello. 您好
I've been waiting at the back door. I knocked, but no one came. 我一直等在后门却一直没人应门
So you pushed in? 那你就推门而入了
I'm John Bates, the new valet. 我叫约翰·贝茨是新来的男仆
- The new valet? - That's right. -新来的男仆-没错
- You're early. - Came on the milk train. -你来得真早-搭清晨的车过来的
Thought I'd use the day to get to know the place, start tonight. 想用白天的时间熟悉环境今晚上任
I'm Anna, the head housemaid. 我是安娜女仆领班
How do you do? 您好
And I'm Miss O'Brien, her ladyship's maid. 我是奥布瑞恩小姐夫人的贴身侍女
You better come along with us. 随我们来
But how can you manage? 但你要怎么应付得过来
Don't worry about that, I can manage. 不必担心我自能应对
- Because we've all got our own work to do. - I can manage. -我们可都有活在身-我能行
All right, Mrs Hughes, 好了休斯太太
I'll take over. Thank you. 我来负责这里谢谢
Good morning, Mr Bates. Welcome. 早上好贝茨先生欢迎
- I hope your journey was satisfactory. - It was fine. Thank you. -愿你旅途一切顺利-顺利谢谢
I am the butler of Downton. My name is Carson. 我是唐顿庄园的管家我叫卡森
查看完整请点击
How do you do, Mr Carson? 您好卡森先生
This is Thomas, first footman. 这位是托马斯第一男仆
He's been looking after his lordship 自沃特森先生走后老爷的起居
since Mr Watson left. 一直由他负责
It'll be a relief to get back to normal, won't it, Thomas? 这下终于能回归正轨了对吧托马斯
I assume that everything is ready for Mr Bates' arrival? 贝茨先生的房间都安排妥当了吧
I've put him in Mr Watson's old room. 就安排在原来沃特森先生的住处
Though he left it in quite a state, I can tell you. 虽然他走的时候屋里一片狼藉
But what about all them stairs? 可那么多台阶怎么办
- I keep telling you, I can manage. - Of course you can. -我都说了我能行-当然
Thomas, take Mr Bates to his room, 托马斯领贝茨先生入住
show him where he'll be working. 带他去看看工作的地方
Thank you, everyone. 多谢各位
Well, I can't see that lasting long. 我可不觉得这长久得了
Thank you, Miss O'Brien. 行了奥布瑞恩小姐
Oh, yes. 好极了
I should be comfortable here. 我在这里会住得很舒服
Does this mean I'll have to go into full mourning? 难道是说我必须戴重孝吗
My first cousin and his son are almost certainly dead. 我的堂兄和侄子几乎已确定遇难
We'll all be in mourning. 我们全家都得服丧
No, I mean with the other thing. 不我是说那件事
After all, it wasn't official. 毕竟没有正式订婚
If you're saying you do not wish to 若你不想以未婚妻的身份
mourn Patrick as a fiance, that is up to you. 为帕特里克戴孝那就随你吧
Well, no one knew about it outside the family. 反正只有家里人知道
I repeat, it is up to you. 我说了你自己决定
Well, that's a relief. 这样我就放心了
There's some cedar-lined cupboards in the attic 阁楼上有几个内衬雪松木的衣柜
for things that aren't often worn, 摆放不常穿着的服装
travelling clothes and such. 以及旅行装束等
Mr Watson used them to rotate the summer and winter stuff. 沃特森先生把换季衣物都收在那里
I'll show you later. 迟些带你去看
What about studs and links? 饰纽和链扣如何挑选
Do I choose them or does he? 由我定还是他定
Lay them out unless he asks for something in particular. 没有特别交代就呈给他挑选
These for a ball, 这些是舞会用的
these for an ordinary dinner, 家常便餐时用这些
these only in London. 这些只在伦敦用
- I'll get the hang of it.- Yeah, you'll have to. -我会记清楚的-是的你必须记住
Snuff boxes, he collects them. 鼻烟壶他收集的
Beautiful. 精美
- Funny our job, isn't it?- What do you mean? -你我这份工作真是滑稽-怎么说
The way we live with all this pirate's hoard within our reach. 奇珍异宝触手可及
But none of it's ours, is it? 可没有一件属于我们不是吗
No, none of it's ours. 是的不属于我们
I can't believe I've been passed over for Long John Silver. 我竟被个跛脚的强盗抢了职位
You should have spoken up when you had the chance. 上次有机会这话你就该直接挑明
Don't make the same mistake next time. 下次别再犯同样的错
Who says there'll be a next time? 谁知还会不会有下次
Is this a public holiday no one's told me of ? 莫非今天休假他们忘了通知我
She was certainly reluctant to go into mourning. 她显然是不愿意服丧
Well, she'll have to. We all will. 她会的我们都要服丧
O'Brien's sorting out my black now. 奥布瑞恩在为我整理黑色丧服
And I've told Anna to see 我已经让安娜去看看
what the girls have that still fits. 女儿们有什么合适的衣服
Of course, this alters everything. 这桩意外改变了一切
You won't try to deny it. 这一点不容你否认
You must challenge the entail now, surely. 毫无疑问你必须争取改变限定继承权
Can't we at least wait until we know they're dead 就不能等确定他们遇难了
before we discuss it? 再讨论这件事
Don't talk as if I'm not brokenhearted, because I am. 别说得好像我铁石心肠一样我也很伤心
Of course, I've never understood why this estate must go 可我没法理解为何这份产业只能
to whomever inherits your title. 由继承你爵位的人接管
My dear, I don't make the law. What is it? 亲爱的法律并非由我制定什么事
The Dowager Countess is in the drawing room. 老夫人到了在客厅里
- I'll come now.- She asked for Lady Grantham. -我马上来-她要见夫人
I wonder what I've done wrong this time. 不知这次我又做错了什么
Oh. And the new valet has arrived, my lord. 另外新男仆已到任老爷
Has he? Thank you, Carson. 是吗谢谢卡森
What is it? 还有什么事
I'm not entirely sure that he'll prove equal to the task. 我不太确定他能否胜任这份工作
But your lordship will be the judge of that. 但这由老爷您决定
Better go. 我先过去了
Tell her about James and Patrick. 告诉她詹姆斯和帕特里克的噩耗
She won't have heard. 她应该还不知道
Of course I've heard. Why else would I be here? 我当然已经得知否则何必匆匆赶来
Robert didn't want you to 罗伯特不想让您
read about it in the newspaper and be upset. 因报纸上的消息而哀伤过度
He flatters me. 他多虑了
I'm tougher than I look. 我没那么多愁善感
I'm very sorry about poor Patrick, of course. 当然了我为可怜的帕特里克感到难过
- He was a nice boy.- We were all so fond of him. -他是个好孩子-我们都很喜欢这孩子
But I never cared for James. 可我一直不喜欢詹姆斯
He was too like his mother 他像极了他母亲
and a nastier woman never drew breath. 一刻也不让人安生
- Will you stay for some luncheon?- Thank you. -您留下用午餐吗-谢谢
- I'll let Carson know.- I've already told him. -我去通知卡森-我已经跟他说了
Shall we sit down? 能坐下说话了吗
Do you know the new heir? 你知道新继承人吗
Only that there is one. 只听说是有一位
He's Robert's third cousin, once removed. 他是罗伯特的远房堂侄
I have never to my knowledge set eyes on him. 我记得我从没见过他
Of course, if your late husband hadn't 可要不是已故的老伯爵
forced me to sign that absurd act of legal theft... 逼着我签字侵吞我的财产
My dear, I didn't come here to fight. 亲爱的我来此并非为了争执
Lord Grantham wanted to protect the estate. 格兰瑟姆老伯爵只想保护这份家业
It never occurred to him that you wouldn't have a son. 他从未料想到你没生下子嗣
- Well, I didn't.- No, you did not. -我是没有-是啊你没有
But when Patrick had married Mary 但如果帕特里克能够迎娶玛丽
and your grandson been hailed as master, 你的外孙将来会成为一家之主
honour would have been satisfied. 家族也不失体面
Unfortunately, now... 可不幸的是现在
Now, a complete unknown has the right to pocket my money 现在一个陌生人将有权处置我的财产
along with the rest of the swag. 还有这份家业
The problem is, saving your dowry would break up the estate. 问题是保住你的嫁妆庄园就会破产
It would be the ruin of everything Robert's given his life to. 那会毁掉罗伯特这辈子苦心经营的一切
- And he knows this?- Well, if he doesn't, he will. -他也明白这点吗-总会明白的
Then there's no answer. 那就是两难境地
Yes, there is, and it's a simple one. 不还有一条出路相当简单
The entail must be smashed in its entirety 彻底打破对继承权的限制
and Mary recognised as heiress of all. 让玛丽成为继承人
- There's nothing we can do about the title.- No. -可我们没法保住爵位-是啊
She can't have the title, but she can have your money. 她不能继承爵位但至少能保住你的财产
And the estate. 还有庄园
I didn't run Downton for 30 years 我经营唐顿庄园30年
to see it go lock, stock 不能眼看着它
and barrel to a stranger from God knows where. 落入一个不知哪里冒出来的陌生人手中
Are we to be friends, then? 这么说我们将成为朋友
We are allies, my dear, 不如说是同盟亲爱的
which can be a good deal more effective. 同盟办事效率更高
Downton is a great house, Mr Bates. 唐顿是一所了不起的庄园贝茨先生
And the Crawleys are a great family. 卡劳利同样也是了不起的家族
We live by certain standards 我们日常起居有规有矩
and those standards can at first seem daunting. 这些规矩起初令人望而生畏
Of course. 应该的
If you find yourself tongue-tied in the presence of his lordship, 如果你面见大人时感到拘谨不安
I can only assure you that his manners and grace 那么他的礼仪和风范
will soon help you to 会帮助你
perform your duties to the best of your ability. 很快地进入角色
I know. 我明白
Bates, my dear fellow. 贝茨我的老朋友
I do apologise, 非常抱歉
I should have realised you'd all be at luncheon. 我应该想到你们正在用午餐
Not at all, my lord. 没关系老爷
Please, sit. Sit, everyone. 请坐下吧大家请坐
I just want to say a quick hello to my old comrade in arms. 我只想来跟老战友打个招呼
Bates, my dear man, welcome to Downton. 贝茨我的兄弟欢迎来到唐顿
Thank you, sir. 谢谢长官
I'm so sorry to have disturbed you all. Please forgive me. 很抱歉打扰各位请原谅
You never asked. 你们没问起
Thomas, take that up. 托马斯把那盘端上去
Leave it, Daisy! He's a grown man. 别管他黛西他是个大小伙子
I suppose he can lift a meat pie. 一盘肉饼总能端得动
Now, put that apple tart in the lower oven. 去把苹果馅饼放进烤箱下层
Oh, and take that away. 快把那个端走
Mr Lynch shouldn't have left it there. 林奇先生不该把它摆在这里
- What is it?- Salt of Sorrel. -这是什么-草酸氢钾
I asked him for some to clean the brass pots. 我要来擦铜壶用的
So, put it somewhere careful. It's poison. 找个地方小心放着那东西可有毒
Seems like a lot of food 食物准备得也太多了吧
when you think they're all in mourning. 他们可是正在服丧
Nothing makes you hungrier or more tired than grief. 哀伤总是让人又饿又累
When my sister died, God rest her soul, 我姐姐走的时候愿她安息
I ate my way through four platefuls of sandwiches at one sitting 我一口气吃了四盘三明治
and slept round the clock. 然后睡了整整12个小时
Did it make you feel better? 那之后你感觉好些吗
Not much, but it passed the time. 没什么用可总能打发时间
Oh, my Lord! 我的天哪
What was this chopped egg supposed to be sprinkled on? 这些碎鸡蛋本来要撒在哪里来着
Was it the chicken? 是不是那盘鸡肉
It was. Take it upstairs now. 没错赶紧送楼上去
- I can't go in the dining room.- I should think not. -可我不能进餐厅-我当然知道
Find Thomas or William and tell them what to do. 让托马斯或者威廉去告诉他们怎么弄
And for heaven's sake get a move on, girl, 倒是赶紧去啊姑娘
before they get back from church. 一会儿他们就从教堂回来了
Well, we've given them a memorial in London 我们在伦敦和这里
and a memorial here. 分别开了追思会
I prefer memorials to funerals, they're less dispiriting. 比葬礼好没这么伤感
We could hardly have held a funeral without the bodies. 没有遗体我们没办法举行葬礼
I gather they're putting up a stone 我看他们会建一座纪念碑
to mark those whose bodies were never found. 纪念那些长眠海底的人
In fact, I hear the Canadians 事实上我听说加拿大人
are making quite a thing at the Titanic cemetery. 建了泰坦尼克号公墓
I'm surprised at the number they found. 想不到他们能找回这么多遗骸
You'd think the sea would've taken more of them. 本以为更多遇难者将安眠大海深处
So, Murray, what have you to tell me 莫里关于那位
about the lucky Mr Crawley? 幸运的卡劳利家成员有什么消息
Nothing too terrible, I hope. 希望不算太糟
I've only made a few inquiries, 我只做了一点调查
but no, there's not much to alarm you. 不过没有什么需要您担心的
Matthew Crawley is a solicitor 马修·卡劳利是一名律师
based in Manchester. 在曼彻斯特工作
Manchester? 曼彻斯特
His special field is company law. 他的专长是公司法
His mother is alive and he lives with her. 母亲健在和他住在一起
His father obviously is not. He was a doctor. 父亲已过世生前是医生
I know. 我知道了
It does seem odd 这真够古怪的
that my third cousin should be a doctor. 我的远房堂兄竟做了医生
There are worse professions. 医生也差不到哪里去
Indeed. 的确如此
Do me a favour. 帮个忙
This is supposed to be sprinkled on the chicken. 这个应该撒在鸡肉上
But isn't there more to go up? 不是还有菜要端吗
Oh, please, it won't take a moment. 求你了用不了几分钟
- Go on then, give it here.- Okay. -好吧交给我-好的
We ought to talk about the business of the entail. 我们该谈谈限定继承权的事情
As you know, on your death, 如你所知你百年之后
the heir to the title inherits everything, 承袭爵位者将继承这一切
except for the sums set aside for your daughters and your widow. 除了留给孤儿寡母的那点遗产
Yes. 是的
Owing to the terms of her settlement, 根据夫人的婚姻协议
this will include the bulk of your wife's fortune. 这也包括她的那部分财产
It has been our sole topic of conversation 沉船之后这成了我们
since the day the ship went down. 唯一的话题
Of course it must seem horribly unjust to Lady Grantham, 尽管对格兰瑟姆夫人非常不公
but that is how the law stands. 可法律规定如此
Is there really no way to detach her money from the estate? 真没有办法帮她留份财产吗
Even to me, it seems absurd. 连我都觉得这很荒谬
Your father tied the knots pretty tight. 令尊坚持要这么做
I'd say it's unbreakable. 没有余地变通
I see. 我懂了
Really, Edith, do you have to put on such an exhibition? 伊迪丝何必这么入戏呢
She's not. 她是真伤心
I was supposed to be engaged to him, for heaven's sake, not you. 要和他订婚的不是你是我
And I can control myself. 我都没这么失态
Then you should be ashamed. 那你就该羞愧
Oh, and don't tell me you've not sent up the egg yet. 这碗蛋怎么还没送上去
Oh, God, help me! Please, God, help me! 噢上帝帮帮我求你了帮帮我
Well, what on earth's the matter? 怎么回事
Just run upstairs to the dining room and find William. 赶快去楼上餐厅找威廉
- I beg you.- I can't do that now. -求你了-我现在没空
You've got to. 求你帮帮忙
- I'll be hanged if you don't.- What? -不然我死定了-什么
Daisy, is that you? 黛西是你吗
Is it the chicken in a sauce 是洒在鸡肉沙拉上
or the plain chicken with sliced oranges? 还是橘片白切鸡上
Oh, thank you, blessed and merciful Lord! Thank you. 感谢万能慈悲的主谢谢你
It's the chicken in the sauce. 洒在鸡丝沙拉上
I'll never do anything sinful again, I swear it. Not till I die. 我以后要多做善事我发誓
Mr Murray, how lovely to see you. Do come in. 莫里先生幸会快请进
You're very kind, Lady Grantham, 多谢盛情格兰瑟姆夫人
but I must get back to London. 但我要赶回伦敦
But you'll stay for luncheon? 不留下吃午饭了吗
Thank you, but no, I'll eat on the train. 没这个福气了我在火车上吃
In fact, if you'd be so good 可否劳驾您
as to ask for the motor be brought round? 派车送我过去
But didn't you want the afternoon to talk things through? 下午不再谈谈了吗
I think we've said everything we have to say, 已经谈得差不多了
haven't we, my lord? 您说对吗阁下
For the time being, yes. 目前是差不多了
Thank you, Murray. 谢谢你莫里
You've given me a good deal to think about. 你的建议我会考虑
Mary, try to get everyone into the dining room. 玛丽请大家进餐厅
Edith, make sure old Lord Minterne sits down. 伊迪丝请敏特里老爷坐下
- They've all gone?- They have, thank the Lord. -都走了吗-感谢上帝都走了
- Oh, what about the lawyer?- Oh, he was the first away. -律师呢-他头一个走
Didn't even stay for the luncheon. 连午饭都没吃
I wish they'd make their minds up. 怎么不早说呢
Gwen's put clean sheets on the Blue Room bed. 格温连蓝屋的床单都铺了
Now she'll just have to strip it again. 现在又得收起来
Can't you leave it for the next guest? 留给以后的客人不行吗
Well, only if you don't tell. 除非你不告状
So, has it all been settled? 尘埃落定了吗
No. I don't know if anything's been settled. 哪儿都没落定呢
There's a fellow in Manchester with claims to the title, 曼城确实有位继承人
I gather, but it's all a long way from settled. 但离确定还早着呢
You mustn't take it personally. 你可别往心里去
No, I do take it personally, Mrs. Hughes. 不我确实很担心休斯太太
I can't stand by and watch our family 我不忍心眼睁睁
threatened with a loss of all they hold dear. 看着亲人无端失去财产
They are not our family. 他们不算我们亲人吧
Well, they're all the family I've got. 他们是我唯一的亲人
I beg your pardon. 抱歉我失态了
Do you ever wish you'd gone another way? 你可曾想过另一种生活吗
Worked in a shop or a factory? 开店做工
Had a wife and children? 娶妻生子吗
Do you? 你后悔吗
I don't know. Maybe. 不知道可能有点
Sometimes. 有时候挺后悔
William's laid tea in the library, 威廉在书房摆好茶了
but Her Ladyship hasn't come down. 但夫人还没下楼
Oh, she'll be tired. Take a tray up to her bedroom. 她累了端上去送进房吧
- Is Thomas back? - Not yet, Mr. Carson. -托马斯回来了吗-还没有卡森先生
He asked if he could run down the village, 他请了假去村里逛逛
I didn't see why not. 我何必拦着
It's iniquitous. 太不公平了
They can't expect you to sit by silent 您平白没了财产
as your fortune is stolen away. 还得故作镇定
Can't they? 又能怎样
His Lordship would never let it happen. 老爷不会不管的
How's Bates working out? 贝茨干得怎么样
Well, I don't like to say. 我不敢评论
Only it seems unkind to criticise a man 他腿脚不方便
for an affliction, my lady. 我不该多嘴的
Even if it means he can't do his job. 哪怕他不能胜任
How are you settling in? 做得还习惯吗
Very well, I think. Unless your Lordship feels differently. 若老爷没有异议我觉得还不错
No complaints? 没什么不顺心的吗
If I had any, I should take them to Mr. Carson, 即使有也该先跟卡森先生说
my Lord, not you. 而不是找老爷您
You're probably right. 那倒是
And the house hasn't worn you out 这上楼下楼的
with the endless stairs and everything? 你吃得消吗
I like the house, my Lord. I like it as a place to work. 我喜欢这房子老爷喜欢在这干活
- What happened?- Oh, it's only the old wound. -那是怎么回事-旧伤罢了
After I left the army, I had a spot of bother 退伍后我遇上点麻烦
and just when I got through that 后来解决了
about a year ago my knee started playing up. 一年前这膝盖开始不听使唤
A bit of shrapnel got left in or something and it moved, 里面有块弹片移了位
but it's fine. 不过不碍事
It's not a problem. 没问题
And you'd let me know if you felt it was all too much for you? 要有问题了就跟我说
I would. But it won't be. 是不会有问题的
Thomas. 托马斯
- And where have you been?- The village. -你去哪了-村子里
To send a telegram, if you must know. 发电报去了若非打听不可
Pardon me for living. 随便打听嘛
Well, Murray didn't stay long. 莫里没呆多久
- Does Her Ladyship know how they left it?- No. -夫人知道结果吗-不知道
They talked it all through on the way back from the church. 他们从教堂回来路上就谈完了
If I was still his valet, I'd get it out of him. 我要还跟老爷早探出消息了
- Bates won't say a word.- He will not. -贝茨的嘴严着呢-没错
I bet you a tenner he's a spy in the other direction. 十镑我赌他是主子的眼线
I wanted that job. 我想跟着老爷
We were all right together, His Lordship and me. 我可是他的得力助手
Then be sure to get your foot in the door 那等贝茨走了
when Bates is gone. 你就想办法跟紧老爷
You can't get rid of him just because he talks behind our backs. 光说他暗地里嚼舌根可赶不走他
There's more than one way to skin a cat. 东方不亮西方亮办法多的是
- Perhaps she misunderstood.- No, it was quite plain. -夫人没听懂吧-说得很明白了
O'Brien told her Bates can't do the job properly. 奥布瑞恩明说了贝茨伺候不好老爷
Why was he taken on? 怎么偏请了他呢
He was Lord Grantham's batman when he was fighting the Boers. 布尔战争时他给老爷当过勤务兵
I know that, but even so. 我知道那也犯不着
- I think it's romantic.- I don't. -我觉得定有原因-什么原因
How can a valet do his work if he's lame? 一个瘸子怎么当贴身侍从呢
He's not very lame. 倒不是特别瘸
There. Anything else before I go down? 好了小姐还有吩咐吗
No, that's it. Thank you. 没了下去吧
Oh, I hate black. 一身黑真难看
It's not for long. 又不用穿很久
Mama says we can go into half-mourning next month. 妈妈说下个月就改半丧
And back to colours by September. 到九月就不用穿黑了
- Still seems a lot for a cousin.- But not a fiance? -死了堂兄而已何必呢-不是未婚夫吗
- He wasn't really a fiance.- No? -不算未婚夫吧-真的吗
I thought that was what you call a man you're going to marry. 都要结婚了还不是未婚夫
I was only going to marry him if nothing better turned up. 实在没得选了我才会嫁给他
- Mary, what a horrid thing to say.- Don't worry. -玛丽别这么说-怕什么
Edith would have taken him, wouldn't you? 想嫁他的是伊迪丝对吧
Yes, I'd have taken him. 是我想嫁他
If you'd given me the chance, I'd have taken him like a shot. 要不是你我早嫁给他了
I just think you should know it's not working, Mr. Carson. 这实在行不通卡森先生
Do you mean Mr. Bates is lazy? 贝茨先生很懒散吗
Not lazy, exactly. But he just can't carry. 不是懒散是干不了重活
He can hardly manage His Lordship's cases. 他连老爷的箱子都差点提不动
You saw how it was when they went up 去伦敦参加追思会的那次
to London for the memorial. 您也看见了
He can't help with the guests' luggage neither. 他也没法帮客人拿行李
And as for waiting at table, we can forget that. 更别说伺候用餐了
And what do you want me to do? 你想让我怎么样呢
Well, it's not for me to say. 我本不该多嘴
But is it fair on William to have all the extra work? 但让威廉担那么多活合适吗
I don't believe you'd like to think 我想您不愿看到
the house was falling below the way things ought to be. 家务水准低于以往吧
- I would not.- That's all I'm saying. -当然不愿意-我就这意思
I'm going down. Coming? 我下楼去来吗
In a moment. You go. 一会来你先去吧
I know you're sad about Patrick. 帕特里克出事我知道你是伤心的
Whatever you say, I know it. 不管你怎么逞强
You're a darling. 你真贴心
But you see, I'm not as sad as I should be. 可我并没那么伤心
And that's what makes me sad. 这才让我难过
Thank you. 谢谢
- I'll do that.- No. No, thank you, My Lord. -我来捡吧-不用谢谢老爷
- I can do it.- I'm sure. -我能行-明白
I hope so, My Lord. I hope you're sure. 但愿吧老爷希望您能相信我
Bates, we have to be sensible. 贝茨说白了吧
I won't be doing you a favour in the long run 你要是负担太重
if it's too much for you. 我这就是在帮倒忙
No matter what we've been through, it's got to work. 有交情没错可正事不能耽误
Of course it has, sir. I mean, My Lord. 当然了长官不老爷
Do you miss the army, Bates? 怀念打仗的日子吧贝茨
I miss a lot of things, but you have to keep moving, don't you? 怀念是有的可总得向前看
You do, indeed. 没错说得好
I'll show you, My Lord, I promise. I won't let you down. 老爷我会证明我绝不辜负您
We've managed so far, haven't we? 大风大浪都一起过来了对吧
Yes, we have. Of course we have. 对当然
- You look very nice.- Thank you, darling. -很漂亮-谢谢亲爱的
Did Murray make matters clearer? 莫里挑明说了吗
Yes, I'm afraid he did. 是恐怕没戏
By the way, O'Brien says 对了奥布瑞恩跟我说
Bates is causing a lot of awkwardness downstairs. 贝茨干家务不太利索
You may have to do something about it. 您说说他吧
She's always making trouble. 她就会找麻烦
Is that fair when she hasn't mentioned it before now? 她忍到现在才说难道也是搬弄是非
I don't know why you listen to her. 你怎么老听她的瞎话
It is quite eccentric, even for you, 即便是你身边跟着个瘸腿男仆
to have a crippled valet. 也够让人侧目的了
Please, don't use that word. 拜托别用瘸这个字眼
Did he tell you he couldn't walk when he made his application? 他求职时难道没提不能走路吗
Don't exaggerate. 别夸大其辞
Doesn't it strike you as dishonest not to mention it? 你不觉得隐瞒实情是很不诚实的吗
- I knew he'd been wounded. - You never said. -我知道他曾受过伤-你可从未提过
You know I don't care to talk about all that. 你知道我不愿对此多谈
Of course I understand what it must 我可以理解你的心情
be like to have fought alongside someone in a war. 毕竟你们曾彼此并肩作战出生入死
- Oh, you understand that, do you? - Certainly I do. -是么你真的了解吗-当然了
You must form the most tremendous bonds. 你们毕竟也算是生死之交
- Even with a servant. - Really? -即使他是个仆人-真的吗
Even with a servant? 即使他是个仆人
Oh, Robert, don't catch me out. 罗伯特别吹毛求疵
I'm simply saying I fully see why you want to help him. 我完全理解你想帮助他的初衷
But? 但是
But is this the right way, to employ him for a job he can't do? 但也不能勉强他做根本无法胜任的工作
Is it any wonder if the others' noses are put out? 也难怪别人说长道短的
I just want to give him a chance. 我只是想给他个机会
Mama, I'm sorry, no one told me you were here. 妈妈抱歉我不知您来此
Oh, dear, such a glare. 真要命这么刺眼的光
I feel as if I were on stage at the Gaiety. 搞得我觉得自己跟登台唱大戏似的
We're used to it. 我们倒是都习惯了
I do wish you'd let me install it in the Dower House. 我非常希望给您的府邸也安上一套
It's very convenient. 它非常方便
The man who manages the generator could look after yours as well. 我家电工可以连您的宅子一并打理
No. I couldn't have electricity in the house. 不要我才不要在宅子里安电灯呢
I wouldn't sleep a wink. 我肯定整宿都合不上眼
All those vapours seeping about. 搞得到处都是蒸汽什么的
Even Cora won't have it in the bedroom. 柯拉也不愿意在卧室里安灯
She did wonder about the kitchens, 她倒是曾想在厨房里安电灯
but I couldn't see the point. 真不知道那有什么用
Well, before anyone joins us, 趁着现在没有旁人打扰
I'm glad of this chance for a little talk. 我想跟你说几句话
I gather Murray was here today? 我听说今天莫里来了
News travels fast. 消息传得真快
Yes. I saw him and he's not optimistic 没错我是见了 但他态度并不乐观
that there's anything we can do. 恐怕我们只能听天由命
Well, I refuse to believe it. 我才不信这一套呢
Be that as it may, it's a fact. 无论如何这已既成事实
But to lose Cora's fortune to... 但柯拉财产可就保不住了
Really, Mama, you know as well as I do 说真的妈妈你我心知肚明
that Cora's fortune is not Cora's fortune any more. 柯拉的财产早就不归她支配了
Thanks to Papa, it is now part of the estate. 多亏了爸爸那份财产早就归为家产了
And the estate is entailed to my heir, 而现在全都限定留给我的继承人
that is it. That is all of it. 就这样没什么可说的了
Robert, dear, I don't mean to sound harsh... 罗伯特亲爱的我不想说难听话
You may not mean to, but I bet you will. 难不难听的您反正是要说的
Twenty-four years ago you married Cora, 二十四年前你违背我愿
against my wishes, for her money. 为了钱财娶了柯拉
Give it away now, what was the point 现在钱要拱手送人
of your peculiar marriage in the first place? 那之前费劲娶她有什么意义呢
If I were to tell you she'd made me very happy, 假如我说她让我无比幸福
would that stretch belief? 您会相信吗
It's not why you chose her, 你娶她可不是为了这个
above all those other girls 再说了当时有那么多的姑娘
who could've filled my shoes so easily. 随意选一位都合我意
If you must know, when I think of 实话跟您讲吧当我回想起
my motives for pursuing Cora, I'm ashamed. 当年追求柯拉的动机时我感到很羞愧
There's no need to remind me of them. 您就别再旧事重提刺激我了
Don't you care about Downton? 你就一点都不在乎唐顿吗
What do you think? 您觉得呢
I've given my life to Downton. 我这一生的精力都倾注在唐顿庄园上
I was born here and I hope to die here. 我生于斯也希望死于斯
I claim no career beyond the nurture of this house and the estate. 我毕生的事业就是振兴这份家产
It is my third parent and my fourth child. 这大半辈子我含辛茹苦呕心沥血
Do I care about it? Yes, I do care! 我在乎吗我当然在乎
I hope I don't hear sounds of a disagreement. 你们不会是在争执吧
Oh, is that what they call discussion in New York? 这就是纽约人对"讨论"的叫法吗
Well, I'm glad you're fighting. 我很高兴你们在吵架
I'm glad somebody's putting up a fight. 很高兴总算有人想起来抗争一下了
You're not really fighting Granny, are you, Papa? 你不是真的跟奶奶吵架吧爸爸
Your grandmother merely wishes to do the right thing. 你们的奶奶也只是想有个万全之策
And so do I. 我也一样
Dinner is served, my lady. 晚餐已经准备好了夫人
Does anyone else keep dreaming about the Titanic? 还有谁也一直梦见泰坦尼克号吗
I can't get it out of my mind. 我老是梦见它
Not again. Give it a rest. 不是吧消停会吧
Daisy, it is time to let it go. 黛西别再想这件事了
But all them people, 但是所有的人
freezing to death in the midnight icy water. 大半夜都冻死在冰冷的海水里
Oh, you sound like a penny dreadful. 你这语气跟那些廉价恐怖小说一样
I expect you saw worse things in South Africa. Eh, Mr. Bates? 您在南非肯定见过更惨的吧贝茨先生
Not worse, but pretty bad. 谈不上更惨但也够呛
Did you enjoy the war? 你很享受战争的感觉吗
I don't think anyone enjoys war, 我想没人喜欢享受战争
but there are some good memories, too. 但也有些不错的回忆
I'm sure there are. 我也确信肯定是有的
Mr. Bates, would you hand me that tray? 贝茨先生您能把那个托盘递给我吗
- Blast! - I'll do it. -该死-我来吧
Sorry. 抱歉
The ladies are out, we've given them coffee. 夫人小姐们已经吃完了咖啡也上了
The Lordship's taken his port to the library. 老爷带着葡萄酒进了书房
Anna, Gwen, go up and help clear away. 安娜格温上楼帮忙收拾去
Uh, Daisy, tell Mrs. Patmore 黛西告诉帕特莫太太
we'll eat in 15 minutes. 我们15分钟之后开饭
Well, I keep forgetting. 我老是记不住
Does this go next door or back to the kitchen? 这个是要放到隔壁还是拿回厨房
Those go back, 那些端回去
but the dessert service and all the glasses 甜点餐具和所有酒杯
stay in the upstairs pantry. 都放到楼上餐具室
Put it on here. 放在这里
What is it? 什么事
Her Ladyship's told him 夫人跟他说
she thinks Mr. Bates ought to go. 她觉得贝茨先生该辞职走人
She said to me, 她是这么跟我说的
"If only his Lordship had been content with Thomas." "老爷一直用托马斯不就得了"
Did she really? 她真是这么说的吗
- What are you doing up here? - It's a free country. -你们在这儿干吗呢-你管得着吗
Well, I'm going for my dinner. 成啊我要去吃饭了
You two can stay here plotting. 你俩就在这儿继续"运筹帷幄"吧
So, the Young Duke of Crowborough is asking himself to stay. 这么说年轻的克罗伯勒公爵主动想来拜访
And we know why. 我们也清楚他此番前来所欲何为
You hope you know why. 你们自以为清楚而已
That is not at all the same. 现实可不总是随人所愿
You realise the Duke thinks Mary's prospects have altered. 你认为公爵已察觉到玛丽的前景有所改观
- I suppose so. - There's no "Suppose" about it. -大概是吧-什么叫大概是吧
Of course, this is exactly 那是肯定以及一定的
the sort of opportunity that will come to Mary 只要我们能事事都以玛丽的利益为重
if we can only get things settled in her favour. 那么这就是玛丽千载难逢的好机会
- Is Robert coming round? - Not yet. -罗伯特回心转意了吗-还没有
To him, the risk is 他所担心的是
we succeed in saving my money but not the estate. 纵然保住我的钱但家产却付之东流
He feels he'd be betraying his duty 要是唐顿庄园因他而败落
if Downton were lost because of him. 他会觉得甚是愧对先祖
Well, I'm going to write to Murray. 好吧那我给莫里写封信
He won't say anything different. 他也无计可施
Well, we have to start somewhere. 千里之行始于足下
Our duty is to Mary. 咱们要对玛丽负责
Well, give him a date 等玛丽服完丧
for when Mary's out of mourning. 就安排他俩约会吧
No one wants to kiss a girl in black. 没人愿意跟穿丧服的姑娘谈情说爱
Oh, do stop admiring yourself. 别顾影自怜了
He's not marrying you for your looks. 你以为他娶你是贪图你的美貌吗
That's if he wants to marry you at all. 再说娶不娶还不一定呢
He will. 他会娶我的
I think you look beautiful. 我觉得你很美
Thank you, Sybil darling. 谢谢你茜玻亲爱的
We should go down. 咱们该下楼了
They'll be back from the station at any moment. 他们随时都会从车站回来
Hmm. Let's not gild the lily,dear. 别太花枝招展亲爱的
And Mary, try to look surprised. 还有玛丽尽量显得惊讶些
You all ready? 都准备好了吗
Very well. You should go out to greet them. 很好大家出门迎接客人吧
And me, Mr. Carson? 我也去吗卡森先生
No, Daisy, not you. 不黛西你不能去
Can you manage, Mr. Bates? 你能行吗贝茨先生
Or would you rather wait here? 要不你在这儿等着
I want to go, Mr. Carson. 我想出去卡森先生
Well, there's no obligation for the whole staff to be present. 也没必要全体都出去迎接的
I'd like to be there. 我很乐意去
Well, it's certainly a great day for Downton 今天是唐顿庄园的大日子
to welcome a Duke under our roof. 因为要欢迎公爵的大驾光临
Remember to help me with the luggage. Don't go running off. 记得帮我抬行李别想开溜
I'll give you a hand. 我来帮你吧
Oh, I couldn't ask that, Mr. Bates, 那怎么行贝茨先生
not in your condition. 您腿脚恐怕不方便吧
How long do we have to put up with this, 卡森先生我只是想知道
Mr. Carson, just so I know? 我们究竟还要忍多久啊
Welcome to Downton. 欢迎光临唐顿庄园
Lady Grantham, this is so kind of you. 格兰瑟姆夫人感谢您的盛情邀请
Not at all, Duke. 哪里哪里公爵
I'm delighted you could spare the time. 您百忙之中能光临寒舍自是荣幸之至
You know my daughter Mary, of course. 想必您认识小女玛丽
- Of course, Lady Mary. - And Edith, -当然玛丽小姐-还有伊迪丝
but I don't believe you've met my youngest, Sybil. 我想你还从未见过幺女茜玻
- Ah! Lady Sybil. - How do you do? -茜玻小姐-您好
Come on in, you must be worn out. 快快请进您舟车劳顿想必甚为疲惫
Oh, Lady Grantham, I've a confession to make, 格兰瑟姆夫人我有个不情之请
which I hope won't cause too much bother. 当然我希望不会给您添麻烦
My man has taken ill just as I was leaving, so I... 我的贴身男仆在启程时生病了所以我
Oh, well, that won't be a problem, will it, Carson? 这个好办是吧卡森
Certainly not. 当然
I shall look after His Grace myself. 就由小人亲自服侍尊贵的大人吧
Oh, no, I wouldn't dream of being such a nuisance. 不行我可不能这么大材小用
Surely a footman... 不过是个男仆
I remember this man. 我记得这个人
Didn't you serve me 格兰瑟姆夫人与我在伦敦共进晚餐时
when I dined with Lady Grantham in London? 是你侍奉的我吧
- I did, Your Grace. - Ah, there we are. -是的大人-这就行了
We shall do very well together, won't we... 我们应该会相处得不错是吧那个
- Uh, Thomas, Your Grace. - Thomas. -我叫托马斯大人-托马斯
Good. 那好吧
Hope you had a pleasant journey. 您的旅途还算愉快吧
Bates, are you all right? 贝茨你没事吧
Perfectly, my Lord. I apologise. 很好老爷对不起
Mr. Bates. 贝茨先生
- That's better. - Please, don't feel sorry for me. -这样好多了-求你别来可怜我
What shall we do? What would you like to do? 我们该去干什么呢你想去哪儿
I think I'd rather like to go exploring. 我想到处转一转参观一下
Certainly. Gardens or house? 没问题去花园还是府邸里
Oh, house I think. Gardens are all the same to me. 府邸吧我觉得花园都千篇一律
Very well, 很好
we can begin in the hall, which is one of the oldest... 我们先从大厅开始最古老的
No, not all those drawing rooms and libraries. 不不要那些客厅藏书室
Well, what then? 那你想去哪儿
I don't know. 我不知道
The... The secret passages and the attics. 比如秘密通道小阁楼之类的
Well, it seems a bit odd but, why not? 听起来有些古怪但有何不可呢
I'll just tell Mama. 我去跟妈妈说一声
No, don't tell your mama. 不别告诉你母亲
But there's nothing wrong in it. 但我们又不是做什么坏事
No, indeed. I'm... 当然不是我只是
I'm only worried the others will want to join us. 我只是不想有人来打扰我们
Mary's settling him in. 玛丽在招待他
Cora, don't let Mary make a fool of herself. 柯拉别让玛丽太过于殷勤
By the way, I'll be going up to London next week. 对了下周我要去伦敦
Do you want to open the house? 要让人打扫一下房子吗
No, no. I'll just take Bates and stay at the club. 不用了我就带着贝茨一起住俱乐部
I won't be more than a day or two. 差不多就待一两天吧
I see. Are things progressing? 好的事情有什么进展吗
What things? 什么事情
It's just a regimental dinner. 不过是军队的晚宴而已
It's a pity Bates spoilt the arrival this afternoon. 下午贝茨的那一跤可惜了整个迎接礼
He didn't spoil anything. He fell over. 不算煞风景他只是摔倒了而已
It was so undignified. Carson hates that kind of thing. 太不体面了卡森最讨厌这种事
I don't care what Carson thinks. 我才不管卡森怎么想
A message from the Dowager Countess, my lady. 老夫人来口信了夫人
She says she won't come to tea, 她说她不来喝下午茶了
but she'll join you for dinner. 但会来用晚餐
Oh, Carson, I hope you weren't embarrassed this afternoon. 对了卡森但愿你今天下午没有太难堪
I can assure you the Duke very much appreciated his welcome. 我敢保证公爵他还是很感激你的接待
I'm glad. 我很高兴
- Is Bates all right? - I think so, my lord. -贝茨没事了吧-我想应该没事老爷
It must be so difficult for you, all the same. 不管怎样真是难为你了
Don't stir. 不要多事
Do you realise this is the first time we've ever been alone? 我们好像是第一次这样独处
Then you've forgotten 那你肯定是忘了
when I pulled you into the conservatory at the Northbrooks'. 在北布洛克斯家那次我把你拉进温室
- How sad. - No, I haven't. -我真伤心-不我没有忘记
It's not quite the same 那次不一样
with 20 chaperones hiding behind every fern. 那时有好多女伴躲在树丛暗中窥觊
And are you pleased to be alone with me, my lady? 和我独处你开心吗小姐
Oh, dear, if I answer truthfully, 天哪若我坦诚相告
you'll think me rather forward. 那就太不矜持了
I don't think we should pry. It feels rather disrespectful. 我们不该随便窥探太失礼了
Oh, nonsense. 胡说
It's your father's house, isn't it? 这是你父亲的房子不是吗
You've a right to know what goes on in it. 你有权利知道房子里的一切
Where does this lead? 这通向哪儿
To the men's quarters. With a lock on the women's side. 男仆的房间从女仆这边上锁
- Only Mrs Hughes is allowed to turn it. - Mrs Hughes... -只有休斯太太有权开锁-休斯太太
And you. 还有你
- And here? - A footman, I imagine. -这里是-某位男仆的房间
- Should you do that? - Why not? -这样合适吗-有何不妥
I'm... I'm making a study on the genus "Footman". 我我在研究一种叫"男仆"的物种
I seek to know the creature's ways. 首先我得了解他们的生活起居
Someone's coming! 有人来了
Can I help you, my lady? 能效劳吗小姐
We were just exploring. 我们只是随便看看
Were you looking for Thomas, Your Grace? 您是要找托马斯吗大人
No, as Lady Mary said, we've just been exploring. 不如玛丽小姐所说我们只是随便看看
Would you care to explore my room, my lady? 那您想看看我的房间吗小姐
Of course not, Bates. I'm sorry to have bothered you. 不用了贝茨很抱歉打扰你了
We were just going down. 我们马上就下去
Why did you apologise to that man? 为什么要向那个人道歉
It's not his business what we do. 他无权干涉我们
I always apologise when I'm in the wrong. 犯了错就道歉
It's a habit of mine. 这是我的习惯
The plain fact is Mr Bates, through no fault of his own, 事实表明尽管贝茨先生无过
is not able to fulfil the extra duties expected of him. 但他无法完成应担的额外工作
He can't lift. He can't serve a table. 他不能提重物更不能侍奉用餐
He's dropping things all over the place. 还四处乱掉东西
On a night like tonight he should act as a third footman. 比如今晚他就该充当第三男仆
As it is, my lord, 而事实上老爷
we may have to have a maid in the dining room. 我们今晚只能找个女仆来顶替
Cheer up, Carson, 放松点卡森
there are worse things happening in the world. 这也不算太糟糕
Not worse than a maid serving a duke. 让女仆侍奉公爵还不够糟
So you're quite determined? 这么说你心意已决
It's a hard decision, your lordship. A very hard decision. 这决定很难老爷我也是不得已
But the honour of Downton is at stake. 但这有损唐顿的名誉
Don't worry, Carson. 别担心卡森
I know all about hard decisions 为了唐顿的名誉
when it comes to the honour of Downton. 我知道该怎么舍小为大
Don't I, boy? 是吧小家伙
William, you mustn't let Thomas take advantage. 威廉你不能总让托马斯占你便宜
He's only a footman, same as you. 他跟你一样也只是个男仆
It's all right, Mrs Hughes. 没事的休斯太太
I like to keep busy. 我喜欢充实点
It takes your mind off things. 这样就不至于胡思乱想
What things have you got to take your mind off? 胡思乱想些什么
If you're feeling homesick, there's no shame in it. 想家也没什么可害臊的
- No. - It means you come from a happy home. -是的-说明你有一个幸福的家庭
There's plenty of people here would envy that. 很多人羡慕都来不及呢
Yes, Mrs Hughes. 知道了休斯太太
- Will that be all, my lord? - Yes. -您还有何吩咐老爷-没有
That is... Not exactly. 其实还有点事
Have you recovered from your fall this afternoon? 下午摔了一跤没事吧
I'm very sorry about that, my lord. 实在抱歉老爷
I don't know what happened. 也不知怎么了
The thing is, Bates, 是这样贝茨
I said I'd give you a trial and I have. 我答应让你试试也给了你机会
If it were only up to me... 可有些事由不得我
It's this question of a valet's extra duties. 贴身侍从也该承担额外的职责
You mean waiting a table when there's a large party? 您是指有大型宴会时侍奉用餐吗
That and carrying things and... 还包括提箱子等等
You do see that Carson can't be 你也知道卡森决不允许
expected to compromise the efficiency of his staff. 他的手下效率低下
I do, my lord, of course I do. 明白老爷我当然明白
Might I make a suggestion? 我有个提议
That when an extra footman is required, 若需额外男仆时
the cost could come out of my wages. 他的工钱从我工资里扣
Absolutely not. I couldn't possibly allow that. 不行我决不允许
Because I am very eager to stay, my lord. 可我很想留下来老爷
Very eager, indeed. 真的很想
I know you are. And I was eager that this should work. 我知道我也很希望你能留下来
You see, it is unlikely that I should find another position. 像我这样的很难再找到工作了
But surely in a smaller house, where less is expected of you. 房子小些责任轻些的工作肯定行
It's not likely. 也不太可能
I mean to help until you find something. 在你找到工作前我会帮助你
I couldn't take your money, my lord. 我不能要您的钱老爷
I can take wages for a job done. That's all. 除非那是我的劳动所得
Very good, my lord. I'll go at once. 好吧老爷我马上走
There's no need to rush out into the night. 不必急着今晚走
Take the London train tomorrow. It leaves at 9:00. 搭明早九点的火车去伦敦吧
You'll have a month's wages, too. That I insist on. 我会多给你一个月的工资千万收下
It's a bloody business, Bates, 我也不想这样贝茨
but I can't see any way around it. 实在是别无他法
I quite understand, my lord. 我理解老爷
I'm afraid we're rather a female party tonight, Duke. 看来今晚是女士之夜了公爵
But you know what it's 但是你也知道
like trying to balance numbers in the country. 乡下总是女多男少
A single man outranks the Holy Grail. 单身汉在这里可是众星捧月
No, I'm terribly flattered to be dining en famille. 不能与您一家共进晚餐实在荣幸之至
What were you and Mary doing in the attics this afternoon? 下午您和玛丽在小阁楼做什么呢
I expect Mary was just showing the Duke the house. Weren't you? 我想玛丽只是带公爵到处看看而已对吧
- Are you a student of architecture? - Mmm, absolutely. -您是学建筑的吗-没错
Then I do hope you'll come and inspect my little cottage. 那我诚挚希望您能光临寒舍
It was designed by Wren for the first earl's sister. 那是雷恩大师为第一任伯爵的妹妹设计建造的
The attics? 小阁楼
Yes. Mary took the Duke up to the attics. 没错玛丽带着公爵上了小阁楼
Whatever for? 去那做什么
Why was this, dear? 亲爱的怎么回事
We were just looking around. 我们就是随处参观
Looking around? What is there to look at but servants' rooms? 参观仆人的房间有什么可看的
What was the real reason, hmm? 到底是为什么呢
Don't be such a chatterbox, Edith. 别絮絮叨叨的伊迪丝
I think we'll go through. 我看大家都吃完了
- I still don't understand... - Will you hold your tongue! -我还是不懂-少说几句行吗
How long do you think they'll be? I'm starving. 还要等多久我快饿死了
Have you settled the ladies? 夫人小姐们都安顿好了吗
Yes, Mr Carson. 是的卡森管家
Then it won't be long once they go through. 那就不会太久了
You think he'll speak out? 你们觉得他会求婚吗
Do you think we'll have a duchess to wait on? Imagine that. 想想看我们就要有个公爵夫人伺候了
You won't be waiting on her, whatever happens. 那也轮不到你来伺候
There is no reason why the eldest daughter 格兰瑟姆伯爵的长女和继承人
and heiress of the Earl of Grantham 成为公爵夫人
should not wear a duchess's coronet with honour. 再合适不过了
Heiress, Mr Carson? Has it been decided? 继承人已经决定了吗卡森先生
It will be, if there's any justice in the world. 世间若还有公道她理应继承
Well, we'll know soon enough. 好吧分晓不久便知
What are you doing, Anna? 你在干什么安娜
I thought I'd take something up to Mr Bates, 我想拿点吃的给贝茨先生
him not being well enough to come down. 他不舒服没下来吃饭
You don't mind, do you, Mrs Hughes? 您不介意吧休斯太太
I don't mind. Not this once. 我没意见但仅此一次
No, take him whatever he might need. 去吧给他送吃的吧
Mr Bates is leaving without a stain on his character. 贝茨先生的离开与他的品性无关
I hope you all observe that in the manner of your parting. 我希望你们与他道别时注意分寸
Well, I don't see why he has to go. 我不明白他为什么要走
I don't mind doing a bit of extra work... 我不介意多做一些...
It's not up to you. 这不是你能决定的
I'll take care of his lordship. Shall I, Mr Carson? 让我来服侍老爷卡森先生行吗
Not while you're looking after the Duke, you won't. 不行你还得照顾公爵
I'll see to his lordship myself. 还是我自己来伺候吧
Mr Bates? Are you there? 贝茨先生你在吗
I brought something up, in case you were hungry. 怕你饿着我给你端了点吃的
That's very kind. 你真好谢谢
- I'm ever so sorry you're going. - I'll be all right. -很遗憾你要走了-我会没事的
Of course you will. 那是当然
There's always a place for a man like you. 以你的为人总能找到容身之处
Oh, yes. Something will turn up. 没错总会有办法的
Tell us when you're fixed. 安顿好了记得告诉我们
Just... drop us a line. 写封信来
Else I'll worry. 不然我会担心的
Well, we can't have that. 放心吧
We must go and let the servants get in here. 咱们该让仆人进来收拾了
I should be grateful if we could stay just a minute more. 若能再逗留片刻我将不胜感激
I have... I have something to ask you. 还有些事想请教
I was terribly sorry to hear about your cousins. 对于您兄侄的遭遇我深表哀悼
You said. 这样
- Did you know them? - Not well. -您认识他们-不太熟
I used to see Patrick Crawley at the odd thing. 也就见过帕特里克·卡劳利几次
I imagine it will mean some adjustments for you all. 府上遭受如此巨变肯定需要时间适应
To lose two heirs in one night, it's terrible. 一夜之间失去两位继承人太可怕了
- Indeed, it was terrible. - Awful. -是啊很可怕-真不幸
But then again, it's an ill wind. 但话说回来祸兮福所倚
At least Lady Mary's prospects must have rather improved. 至少现在玛丽小姐的未来不可限量
Have they? 是吗
Haven't they? 不是吗
I will not be coy 恕我直言
and pretend I do not understand your meaning, 我不想假装没听出您的弦外之音
though you seem very informed on this family's private affairs. 似乎您对我家的私事洞若观火
But you ought perhaps to know 那您也该知道此事
that I do not intend to fight the entail. 我无意打破限定继承权
Not any part of it. 毫无此意
You can't be serious. 您不是说真的吧
It pains me to say it, but I am. 尽管艰难但我确无此意
You'll give up your entire estate? 您要放弃所有家产吗
Your wife's money into the bargain, to a perfect stranger? 将您夫人的财产也交给一个陌生人吗
You won't even put up a fight? 您都不反抗吗
I hope he proves to be perfect, 我希望他是个完美的继承人
but I'd rather doubt it. 但我很怀疑
Very odd thing to joke about. 拿这种事说笑够古怪
No odder than this conversation. 这场谈话更古怪
So, there you have it. 给你的答复如下
But Mary will still have her settlement, 留给玛丽的那部分财产依旧
which you won't find ungenerous. 您不会嫌少的
- I'm sorry? - I only meant that -您说什么-我的意思是
her portion, when she marries, will be more than respectable. 她嫁妆的价值相当可观
- You'll be pleased, I promise you. - Oh, heavens. -您会满意的我保证-天哪
I hope I haven't given the wrong impression. 真希望您没有会错我的意
You know very well... 您心里清楚
- My dear Lord Grantham... - Don't "My dear Lord Grantham" Me! -我尊敬的格兰瑟姆伯爵-别给我来这套
You knew what you were doing when you came here. 此行的目的您心知肚明
You encouraged Mary, all of us, into thinking... 您让玛丽以及我们所有人都以为
Forgive me, but I came 对不起我来此
to express my sympathies and my friendship. 只是为了表达我的哀悼以及友好
Nothing more. 别无他意
Lady Mary is a charming person. 玛丽小姐是位迷人的女士
Whoever marries her will be a lucky man. 谁娶了她都很幸运
It will not, however, be me. 但那不会是我
I see, and what was it you asked me to stay behind to hear? 懂了那您留我在此是要问我什么
I... I forget. 我我忘了
Well, aren't you coming into the drawing room? 您不来客厅了吗
I'm... I'm tired. 我累了
I think I'll just slip away. 失陪
Please make my excuses. 麻烦替我致歉
I'm afraid I've worn you out. 看来你今天累坏了
Tomorrow we can just... 明天我们就...
I'm leaving in the morning. 我明早就告辞
Good night. 晚安
Oh, you might tell that footman... 麻烦你告诉那位男仆
- Thomas. - Thomas. You might tell him I've gone up. -托马斯-托马斯告诉他我回房歇息了
So he slipped the hook? 金龟婿没上钩吗
At least I'm not fishing with no bait. 至少我没有坐以待毙
I don't believe that. 难以置信
Well, believe what you like. He won't break the entail. 你爱信不信他不会推翻限定继承权的
The unknown cousin gets everything 未知的堂弟将继承一切
and Mary's inheritance will be the same as it always was. 玛丽分得的遗产还是那么多
Oh, how was I to know? When the lawyer turned up, I thought... 我怎么知道那个律师来我还以为
You weren't to and you did the right thing to telegraph me. 你是没法知道给我发电报是对的
- It's just not going to come off. - So what now? -只是事情未能如愿-那现在怎么办
Well, you know how I'm fixed. 你知道我的使命决不会变
I have to have an heiress, 我得娶一位继承人
if it means going to New York to find one. 为此奔赴纽约也在所不惜
What about me? 那我怎么办
You...
You will wish me well. 你祝我顺风就好
You said you'd find me ajob if I wanted to leave. 你说过如果我想离开你会给我找份工
And do you? 你想离开吗
I want to be a valet. 我想当贴身侍从
I'm sick of being a footman. 我受够了男仆的工作
Yeah, Thomas, I don't need a valet. 托马斯我不需要贴身侍从
I thought you were getting rid of the new one here. 我以为你要赶走新来的那个呢
And I've done it, 已经赶走了
but I'm not sure Carson's going to let me take over. 但我不确定卡森是否会让我接任
And I want to be with you. 我想跟你在一起
I just can't see it working, can you? 我看不到咱俩的未来你呢
We don't seem to have the basis 我们之间似乎没有
of a servant-master relationship, do we? 发展主仆恋情的可能不是吗
You came here to be with me. 你来此不就是为了与我相会
Among other reasons. 还有别的目的
And one swallow doesn't make a summer. 记住孤燕不成夏
- Aren't you forgetting something? - What? -你是不是忘了什么-什么
Are you threatening me? 你这是威胁我吗
Because of a youthful dalliance? 一段年少无知的风流韵事
A few weeks of madness in a London season? 伦敦社交忙季的数周缱绻
You wouldn't hold that against me, surely? 你不会要拿这些事威胁我吧
I would if I have to. 困兽犹斗何况是人
And who'd believe a greedy footman over the words of a duke? 谁会相信一个贪婪男仆指证公爵的话
If you're not careful, you'll end up behind bars. 你若不谨慎行事小心牢狱之灾
I've got proof. 我有证据
You mean these? 你是指这些书信
You know, my mother's always telling me 我母亲一直叮嘱我
never put anything in writing. 别留下白纸黑字的明证
And now, thanks to you, I never will again. 如今多亏了你我会引以为戒的
How did you get them? 你怎么拿到的
You bastard. 你这个混蛋
Don't be a bad loser, Thomas. 别一失算就气急败坏托马斯
Go to bed. 睡觉去吧
Unless you want to stay. 除非你想留下过夜
I think I'll turn in. 我要睡了
- No big announcement, then? - No. -没什么重要消息吗-没有
Nor likely to be. He's off on the 9:00 train. 也不可能有了他乘明早九点的火车离开
He never is! 他怎么能这样
And when we've had a turkey killed for tomorrow's dinner! 为了明日的晚宴我们都宰好了一只火鸡呢
- I wonder what she did wrong. - She did nothing wrong. -她到底做错了什么-她没错
Not from the way his lordship was talking. 听老爷那口气她应该没错
So His Grace turned out to be graceless. 真不知公爵大人的礼数教养都到哪里去了
Good night, Mrs Hughes. 晚安休斯太太
Good night, Mr Carson. 晚安卡森先生
If you knew that was your decision, why put Mary through it? 既然你意已决何必让玛丽卷进来
But I didn't know it was my decision, 我之前还犹豫不决
my final decision, until tonight. 直到今晚才最终决定
But I find I cannot ruin the estate 我觉得我不能为了玛丽
or hollow out the title for the sake of Mary, 破坏这份家业辱没这个头衔
even with a better man than that. 就算她嫁个更好的人也不行
I try to understand. I just can't. 我无论如何也理解不了
Well, why should you? Downton is in my blood and in my bones. 不理解也罢唐顿是我的家族祖业
It's not in yours. 又不是你的
And I can no more be the cause of its destruction 我不能成为一个卖国贼
than I could betray my country. 也决不能成为败家子
Besides, how was I to know 再说之前我又不知道
he wouldn't take her without the money? 他只是冲着整个家产来的
Don't pretend to be a child because it suits you. 别得了便宜还卖乖
Do you think she would've been happy with a fortune hunter? 你觉得她跟慕钱而来的人结婚会幸福吗
She might've been. 也许会呢
I was. 我就很幸福
Have you been happy? 你真的幸福吗
Really, have I made you happy? 我真让你觉得幸福吗
Yes. 真的
That is, since you fell in love with me, 你爱上我的那刻起幸福就开始了
which, if I remember correctly, 如果我没记错的话
was about a year after we were married. 大概是我们结婚一年后
Not a year. Not as long as that. 没有一年没那么长时间
But it wouldn't have happened for Mary. 但这种好事不一定会落在玛丽身上
Why not? 为什么
Because I am so much nicer than the Duke of Crowborough. 我这人可比克罗伯勒公爵好多了
I'll be the judge of that. 这得我说了算
Just don't think I'm going to let it rest, Robert. 别以为我会袖手旁观罗伯特
I haven't given up by any means. 我不达目的誓不罢休
- I must do what my conscience tells me. - And so must I. -我做事得对得起自己的良心-我也是
And I don't want you to think I'll let it rest. 还有你别以为我会就此罢休
My lord, would it be acceptable 老爷可否让贝茨
for Bates to ride in front with Taylor? 与泰勒在前座将就下
Otherwise, it means getting the other car out. 否则就得另外备车了
He and His Grace are catching the same train. 他和公爵大人赶的是同一班火车
Perfectly acceptable. 完全可以
And if His Grace doesn't like it, he can lump it. 公爵大人就算不乐意也只能将就下了
You've been so kind, Lady Grantham. Thank you. 格兰瑟姆夫人您实在太客气了谢谢
Goodbye, Duke. 再见公爵
You'll make my farewells to your delightful daughters? 烦请您替我向令媛道个别
They'd have been down if they'd known you were leaving so soon. 她们若知道您现在就走定会亲自相送
Alas, something's come up which has taken me quite by surprise. 确实有突发急事不得不走
Obviously. 看得出来
Well, Grantham, this has been a highly enjoyable interlude. 格兰瑟姆贵宅小住非常愉快
Has it? And I feared it had proved a disappointment. 是吗我还担心是否让您失望了
Not at all, not at all. 怎么会完全没有
A short stay in your lovely house has driven away my cares. 小住一日得知你们都好我就安心多了
We ought to go, my lord, if His Grace is to catch the train. 老爷要赶上这班火车的话我们得走了
Goodbye, Bates, and good luck. 再见贝茨祝你好运
Good luck to you, my lord. 也祝您好运老爷
Wait! 等等
- Get out, Bates. - I really mustn't be late. -贝茨下车-我真不能误了这班火车
Get back inside and we'll say no more about it. 回屋去解雇的事绝不再提了
It wasn't right, Carson. 卡森不该让他走
I just didn't think it was right. 不该赶他走的
- First post, ma'am. - Thank you, Ellen. -夫人急件-谢谢艾伦
- One for you. - Thank you, Mother. -这封是你的-谢谢母亲
Oh, it's from Lord Grantham. 是格兰瑟姆伯爵寄来的
Really? What on earth does he want? 真的吗他有什么事会找你
He wants to change our lives. 他想要改变我们的命运

获取完整的剧集台词和单词统计,请移步赞赏区(无需赞赏),关键字“唐顿庄园”

你可能感兴趣的:(唐顿庄园第1季第1集台词)