Chapter FIVE:"Fourth of July after all"
第五章:七月四日独立日
1.还差两个小雕像。
Today was a day for celebration. Nobody was to worry about the hard times.
今天是个庆祝的日子,没有人去担心艰难的时候。
And Grace could stop at Ma Ginger's window quite content:ascertain that only two of the little china figurines remained, and were thus the only two she had not yet been able to save up enough to purchase.
格蕾丝可以满足地在玛英吉尔的橱窗前驻足,确定只有两个剩下的小雕像,她还没有足够的积蓄买下来。
save up 储蓄,节省,贮存
purchase n. 购买;紧握;起重装置
vt. 购买;赢得
vi. 购买东西
【评】小雕像又一次出现了。七个小雕像,Grace凭借着自己的劳动集齐了五个,就剩下两个小雕像Grace的心愿就要达成了。然而……
2.Tom向Grace表白心意。
Tom:I've got so much going on in my head...
我的脑袋里有太多的念头...
Grace:That must be very tiring for you!
那你一定很累!
Tom:I think I've done a pretty good analysis of the folks in this town and I think I understand them in a meaningful way.
我想我对镇上的居民已经做了不错的分析,而且我想我已经足够了解他们。
But when I come to decipher you, I get absolutely nowhere.
但是当我试图对你解码,我总是一无所获。
come to do sth.开始做某事
decipher n. 密电译文 vt.译码,破译, 解释
absolutely adv. 绝对地;完全地
You know Liz... Liz is easy to read.And there was some attraction between us,
你知道丽兹...丽兹是个单纯的人,而且我们彼此有些动心。
attraction n.吸引,吸引力;引力;吸引人的事物
but as I can see right through her,intellectually I mean, I can see right through her,my desire is purely of a physical nature.
但是我可以看透她,我是说从思想上,我可以把她看得很透彻,我的欲望是一种纯粹的原始冲动。
But with you, it's more... it's more complicated.
但是和你,就要更...复杂得多。
Grace:What are you trying to say?
你想说些什么?
Tom:No, I should get it clear in my head first.
不,我应该首先理清我的思路。
Grace:Are you trying to say that ...you're in love withme?
你是想说...你爱上我了吗?
Tom:No, I wouldn't...love is...
不,我不是...爱是...
It's not... It's a big word...
它不是...它是个太重的词...
Yeah.
是的,
Yeah.
是的。
Grace:That's good!
那很好!
because ...I think that I am in love with you, too.
因为...我想我也爱上你了。
Tom:Very interesting, isn't it?I mean it's interesting in a psychological...
很有趣,不是吗?我是说从心理学上来看很有趣...
psychological adj. 心理的;心理学的;精神上的
Did they call you? I think they are calling you.
他们叫你了吗?我想他们在叫你。
Grace:I didn't hear them.
我没听见。
Tom:No.You should probably get back anyway.
没有,不管怎么样你也许该回去了。
I will see you at the wedding. Next celebration..
我们在婚礼上...庆祝活动上见。
【评】庆祝活动之前,Tom向Grace表白了心意。初看之时,觉得甚是感动和欣喜,就连他把“庆祝活动”误说成了“婚礼”都觉得很甜,两个心灵相通的人终究还是在一起了。
再看时,带着已知的结局,仿佛更能理解这一段了。在Tom述说心意时,他始终带着一颗很纠结、不确定的心在述说着,或许就像他自己一开始说的,他并不太确定这是不是爱。
在Grace的追问之下,他得出结论:是的。然而当Tom得知Grace也同样也喜欢他时,他所表现出的并不是欣喜,而是一种很奇怪的情绪,像是陷入了更深的忧虑,他又一次的逃避、畏缩了。这种犹豫,可能就预示着后来的背叛吧。
3.庆祝会上对Grace的肯定。
Jack McKay:This year I didn't bring any notes with me.
今年我没有带任何便条。
Because I'm not gonna pretend I can read them.Which brings me to a point. A point I wanna make.
因为我不再想假装我能够看见便条,我想说的是,一个观点。
And that point is you, Grace.
而那个观点是你,格蕾丝。
Yes. You have made Dogville a wonderful place to live in.
是的,你已经把道格维尔变成了一个美好的地方。
As a matter of fact, somebody tells me they ran into grumpy old Chuck down the street,and he was actually smiling.
事实上,有人告诉我他们在街上看见脾气暴躁的老查克,而他是在笑。
run into 撞上,偶遇,偶然碰见
grumpy n. 脾气坏的人;爱抱怨的人
adj. 脾气暴躁的;性情乖戾的
Well, I've never seen your smile,Grace, but I will bet you I could describe it.
我得说我从没看见过你笑,格蕾丝,但是我打赌我可以形容你的笑容。
Because it obviously has every color that's reflected from the shiniest prism in the world.You probably have a face to match that.Does she have a face to match that, Tom?
因为显然你的笑容和世界上最漂亮的鲜花一样灿烂,你也许有一个可以配得上这笑容的美丽脸蛋,汤姆,是不是这样?
prism 棱镜,棱柱,稜镜计画
match n. 比赛,竞赛;匹配;对手;火柴
vi. 比赛;匹配;相配,相称;相比
vt. 使比赛;使相配;敌得过,比得上;与…竞争
Tom:Yes, sir.
是的,先生。
Jack McKay:Hmm...?
嗯...?
Tom:Yes, sir.
是的,先生。
Jack McKay:I bet she does. We are proud to have you among us.And we thank you for showing us who you are.
我打赌她有,我们为拥有你感到万分骄傲,而且我们感谢你向我们展示了你是谁。
Here to you, Grace.Stay with us as long as you damn please.
为你干杯,格蕾丝,你能呆多久就他妈的和我们呆多久吧!
as long as 只要,如果,既然;和…一样长
【评】庆祝活动上,Jack McKay坦言自己不再带便条了,他不想再假装自己能够看得到了。是啊,Grace,改变了他,也改变了整个小镇。
4.不速之客又一次来访。
Police:Should have been celebrating myself, if this hadn't come up.Have to change this missing person notice.
我本来也该在参加庆祝活动,如果不是因为这个,我得换掉这个失踪者启示。
come up 走进;发生;开始;上升;发芽;被提出
It's that lady again.That's why she disappeared.She's wanted in connection with some bank robberies on the West Coast.
又是那个女士,那就是为什么她失踪了。她因为西海岸的一系列银行抢劫案被通缉了。
wanted v. 缺少( want的过去式和过去分词 );应该;打算;需要…在场 adj. 受通缉的;被征求的
Tom:When did these robberies take place?
这些抢劫案什么时候发生的?
Police:Last couple of weeks.You don't get much news up here, do you?
上两个星期,你们这里消息闭塞,对吧?
Tom:My dad's radio only plays music.
我爸爸的收音机只是用来放音乐的。
Police:Well, all know is that they say she's dangerous,and that anyone with any information about her had better call us pronto.That's the law.
好吧,我所知道的只是他们说她很危险,而任何知道她下落的人都该立即通知我们,这是法律规定的。
information n. 信息,资料;知识;情报;通知
pronto adv. 很快地
Jack McKay:Two weeks! Can't be our girl, Tom.
两个星期前!不可能是我们的姑娘,汤姆。
Tom:No, she's been here all the time.
是的,她一直都在这里。
Jack McKay:Right!
对!
Tom:She couldn't have done what they are accusing her of.
她不可能做了那些他们指控她的事。
accuse sb of sth. 控告某人犯了某事
Bill:No, that's true, Tom, you are right.
对,汤姆,你说得很对。
Tom' father:Still it's an unpleasant business just the same.
总是有那些令人不快的事,象往常那样。
[Narrator] Grace was the same and so was the town.
格蕾丝还是老样子,城镇也一样。
That the gangsters had fixed to have charges made against Grace in their effort to neuralize her came as no surprise.
那些暴徒指控格蕾丝从而诋毁她的企图,并没有引起什么轩然大波
fixed to 把…安装到…上;把…固定于…
But everything had changed a little yet again.
但是还是让一切都有了些变化。
【评】不速之客的又一次来访,再次打破了小镇原有的平静安宁。Grace还是Grace,小镇也还是那个小镇,但还是让一切都发生了变化。哪怕小镇中的所有人都明白,那些指控不过是莫须有的罪名罢了,Grace是无辜的。却还是让他们再次陷入了恐慌与不知所措的境地,他们将面临着又一次的抉择。
(未完待续…)
这一次,又将作出怎样的抉择呢?