Support stays strong from the North! |
来自北方的支持者都很坚定! |
Still no news of a date to face the court? |
还是没有确定的审判日期? |
Go on, that's enough! |
快走,够了! |
-I should not have put youthrough this Mary!-They say |
-我不该让你承受这些,mary!-他们说 |
our case must be put beforethe Prime Minister himself! |
我们的案件会被呈给首相本人! |
The point of law is surely assistance |
法律观点应该是协助自杀 |
to suicide, itself a criminal act, must make this woman also culpable. |
本身也是犯罪行为,这个女人也犯了罪 |
My Lord,this was a grossly immoral act, but suicide was not the intention |
法官大人,这宗事件极其不道德,但自杀并不是本意 |
and so culpability cannot be attached. |
所以不能治这个女人的罪 |
How may the prisoner not be culpable? No more than were I to sell Mr Silvester a horse |
犯人怎么可能是无罪的? 比方说我卖给Silvester先生一匹马 |
and he, seeking pleasure, jumps a ditch and breaks his neck.Where is my culpability? |
而他,为了追求刺激,纵马飞越摔断了脖子。 我哪里有过错? |
And you have a second contention? |
你还有其他主张? |
My Lord, I have a fear for the moral climate should this episode |
大人,我担心如果此事件通过媒体进入公众视野 |
catch the public's attention via the excitable press |
会对社会风气产生不良影响 |
and encourage the depraved part of mankind |
会促使一些低俗之徒 |
from seeking similar...indecent stimulatives. |
寻求类似不道德的刺激 |
And you would have me do what? |
那你提议我怎么做呢? |
I propose this charge be dismissed and suppression of this material. |
我建议撤销这项指控,禁止此事外传 |
My Lord, I trust you to remind |
大人,我希望你能提醒 |
Mr Garrow he does not decide what is or is not a trial! |
Garrow先生,这项指控能否成立不是由他决定的 |
Thank you, Mr Silvester. |
谢谢,Silvester先生 |
All records of the proceedings to be struck. |
所有法律程序的记录将被删除 |
None to be reproduced whatsoever, that includes you, Mr Rawlings. |
并且不得复制,也包括你,Rawlings先生 |
The Crown versus Wagstaffe is dismissed. |
Wagstaffe公诉案被驳回。 |
The accused is free to go. |
犯人当庭释放 |
Am I to take this as fraud Mr Southouse? |
要么你们就是欺诈,Southouse先生 |
Or will your genius Mr Garrow stand up to his self-proclaimed reputation? |
要么天才的Garrow就应该站出来维护他的名声 |
Madam, I cannot speakfor Mr Garrow. We have, quite recently parted our... |
夫人,我的话不能代表Garrow先生。我们最近已经分道扬镳了 |
This bill states you as his procurer. |
这张传单上说你是他的代理人 |
It does. I was. |
这上面是这样说的。我曾经是 |
-And as I have tried to explain... -Then why will you not show my trouble to him? |
-正如我一直想解释的-那你为什么不把我的事告诉他呢? |
This great city is aflood with a thousand tales of innocence, madam. |
这座大城市里到处是冤案,夫人 |
At every turn, I hear fresh accountsof this or that desperate husband stealing to feed his family. |
在任何一个街角,我都会听到某个穷途末路的丈夫为了喂饱家人而偷窃 |
You do not listen, sir.My husband was dragged from his home and put in the Tower. Why? |
你没有听我说,先生我的丈夫被人从家中带走,投入大牢。为了什么事? |
For meeting with like-minded men to exercise his freedom to speak. |
因为他和志趣相投的人集会,行使他言论自由的权利 |
And now, without charge,they throw him in Newgate amongst common, unprincipled criminals. |
现在,没有任何指控,他们把他投入新门监狱和一帮普通罪犯为伍 |
In which case there is nothing I might do until your husband has charges against him. |
如果是这样的话,直到你丈夫受到指控之前我什么也做不了 |
But that is my despair. |
但这正是我绝望的原因 |
Joseph is held in this limbo while his children starve and his business dies. |
Joseph身处囹圄,而他的孩子们在挨饿,他的生意日益萧条 |
You have my sincere sympathies. |
对此我深表同情 |
Truly. But until your husband stands before a judge there is nothing even the great Mr Garrow can do. |
真的。但直到你的丈夫站上被告席,即使伟大的Garrow先生也爱莫能助 |
Sir? I owe you my life. |
先生?你救了我的命 |
-I thank you.-I have my fee and you have your freedom. |
-我很感谢你。-我得到了报酬,你得到了自由. |
But I might give you such satisfaction with a screw. |
但我也许可以以其他方式报答你 |
Sir, some small coin for a pleasure I might give, |
先生,一点小钱换我的回报 |
完整版请点击 |
|
so I can eat? |
我才有钱吃饭? |
I will decline your extravagant offer. |
我必须拒绝你的盛情邀请 |
But perhaps this will suffice instead. |
但这也许就足够了 |
Thank you, sir. |
谢谢,先生 |
Sir, this was not as it may seem. |
先生,事情不是你所看到的那样 |
Of course not and we are both worldly men. |
当然不是,我们都是世故的人 |
Although she is more travelled than us. |
尽管她要比我们都更世故 |
-What I mean to say she is my client, I'm not hers. -Please, I make sport of you. |
-我的意思是她是我的当事人,而我不是她的-我在和你开玩笑 |
Mr Silvester already told me of your victory today and where I might find you. |
Silvester先生已经告诉我你今天的胜利以及我会在哪里找到你 |
And why do you seek me out? |
你找我有何贵干? |
Only to satisfy myself that there is no animosity between us. |
只是想确认一下我们之间没有任何敌意 |
Nothing grown out of our differences in politics that might overcome our commonalities as men. |
希望我们不同的政见没有影响我们之间的和谐 |
Well, I hope not,certainly none on my part. |
我希望没有,当然我一点也没有 |
Excellent. |
好极了 |
Then you must share in my good news. |
那么你一定要分享我的好消息 |
News, sir? |
什么消息,先生? |
Yes, I heard today from my wife. |
今天我的妻子告诉我 |
Sarah carries my child. |
她怀孕了 |
William! |
|
Did you think I would despise you? |
你以为我会鄙视你吗? |
Did you think that if you told me why my feelings for you could not be returned |
你是不是以为如果你告诉我为什么我对你的感情得不到回报 |
that I would in some way think less of you, and instead thought it better |
我就会蔑视你,所以你觉得还是什么都不告诉我为好 |
to let me torment myself with all manner of speculation? |
让我随意揣测,自我折磨 |
You are determined to tell me what I thought and think. |
你自说自话地告诉我我的前思后想 |
I wonder - am I necessary to this conversation? |
我在想―在这个对话中我是否是多余的? |
Or will you play both parts? |
或者谈话双方都要由你来扮演? |
A child? |
孩子? |
I must confess that this news, brought to me by your husband, |
我得承认你丈夫告诉我的这个消息 |
gave me an idea of your marriage other than you led me to believe. |
让我对你们的婚姻产生了其他看法,而非你所让我相信的那样。 |
Forgive me if... |
请原谅我如果 |
I led you to any false understanding. |
我让你产生了任何错误的理解 |
Leave him. |
离开他 |
We are of common mind about this world and although |
我们心意相投,尽管 |
I cannot offer all a man of his position can, |
我无法给你他这种地位的人所有的一切 |
we will be well together, we...we will begin anew. |
我们在一起会好的,我们... 我们会重新开始 |
This is a madness! |
这是发疯 |
Is it? |
是吗? |
Tell me you that you cannot imagine a life |
告诉我你无法想象 |
other than the one you have. |
去过另一种不同的生活 |
With a man who sees you, and accepts you and... |
和一个在意你,接受你 |
will love you for all that you are. For all that I am? Yes. |
将会永远爱你的人一起生活 永远爱我?是的 |
And will you play father to another man's child? |
那你会抚养别人的孩子吗? |
Yes. |
是的 |
Yes, truly yes. |
是的 |
I cannot see this... |
我不能想象 |
this life that you paint for me. |
你为我描绘的这种生活 |
You are an unconvincing witness Sarah Hill. |
你是一个令人难以信服的证人,Sarah Hill. |
I am no witness. And this is no trial. |
我不是证人,这也不是审判 |
You have my answer. |
这就是我的回答 |
Mr Southouse? |
Southouse先生 |
-Mr Garrow.-Please!I feel that perhaps this meeting is a little fortunate. |
-Garrow先生。 -请等等,很高兴在此见到你 |
I think that, if... |
我觉得,如果 |
If there is a distance to make up between us... |
如果我们之间有人要表示歉意的话 |
the journey is largely mine to make. |
那主要责任应该在我 |
Largely?! |
主要责任? |
Entirely mine to make. |
应该说全是我的责任 |
I feel an undoubted and dispiriting absence since our dispute. |
自从我们争吵之后,我心里一直空荡荡的 |
If I have tested your patience |
如果我一时兴起的行为 |
by my enthusiasm for the irregular execution of my trade and of my life... |
让你忍无可忍 |
-it causes me regret.-Regret? |
-我也深感后悔。-后悔? |
That is as far as you will go on this journey? |
没其他的了? |
How far would you have me go? |
你还要我怎么说呢? |
-Please, let us put it behind us... -It's a great thing isn't it? To come and go as you please? |
-拜托,让我们冰释前嫌吧...-来去自如,很开心,是吧? |
-Madam, are we familiar? Forgive me.-You're Mr Garrow? |
-夫人,我们认识吗?抱歉.-你是Garrow先生吗? |
-I am.- Madam, I told you clearly... |
-我是,- 夫人,我告诉过你 |
Don't let me prick at your conscience, sir. |
先生,别让我戳着你的良心 |
Please, block your eyes and ears to the world beyond your privilege.Enjoy your leisure. |
请便吧,蒙起你的双眼,堵住你的耳朵,享受你的特权生活吧 |
If one of us has lost their wits,please say it's not me. |
她是不是疯了? |
She came looking for you. |
她来找过你 |
I heard her out and told her there was nothing to be done. Her husband it seems. |
我听了她的故事,告诉她我们帮不了她 |
How can we say that we are free men |
我们怎能自称是自由人 |
when by Royal proclamation our letters may be seized? |
当我们的信件被随意没收 |
Spies sent to infiltrate our most innocent meetings, |
合法的集会被奸细渗透 |
when the King's government supports those who attack us in the press? |
国王的政府支持那些攻击我们的报社 |
This woman's husband - |
这位女士的丈夫 |
for campaigning for what we all know is just. |
由于支持平等 |