English学习笔记——短语、词组、简缩写

back-to-back / in a row   连续

ex.

We're gonna have two parties back-to-back / in a row next weekend. 下周末我们将连续有两场派对。

We'll have three tests back-to-back / in a row tomorrow. 明天居然连续考三科。

three days in a row 连续三天

 

end up with   以……结束 / 以……为结尾 / 最后有什么样结果

ex.

How many pages did you end up with? 你的(报告)最后有几页?

After seeing so many houses, we ended up with buying the one on the lakeside.  

看了那么多的房子之后, 我们最后还是买了湖边的那栋房子。

 

 

fake-ation / fakeation / fakation   不像假期的假期

The word fake-ation has as many meanings as it does spellings(Fake-ation还有其他几个意思):
1. Calling in sick when you're healthy. (没生病却打电话请病假。)
2. A miserable or problem-filled vacation. (过了一个麻烦不断的悲催假期。)
3. A pretend vacation where you stay at home but take steps to make it appear as so you went away (e.g., applying tanning cream).
(一直待在家,却用一些手段表现出你曾出去度假的样子(比如,在身上涂美黑霜))

 

get through / pass through   度过某个困难的时刻

ex.

How can we get through this (situation)? 我们要如何度过这个(难关)呢?

No matter what's going to happen, we will get through this hard time together.

 不管再来会发生什么事, 我们都要一起过度难关。

I'm so glad I got through finals week. / I'm so glad I have been through finals week. 

我很高兴终于考完了。

 

in amazing colors 五彩缤纷

 

kick back 脱掉 / 报复 / 拿回扣 (还有许多其它的意思,但都跟字面上的意思“踢回去”有关)

ex.

I really need to kick back during the holiday season. 我假期时真的需要好好放松一下。

Kick off your shoes and kick back for a while.  脱掉你的鞋子,好好地放松一下自己。

The United States decided to kick back after the incident.  事件发生后,美国决定要报复。

The company had to kick back a lot to the corrupt officer. 

这家公司必须给“浮白”(sensitive words, you know)的政府官员很大一笔佣金。

 

kitchen-sink 语源:来自二战时期的成语"everything but the kitchen sink" ,当时是指敌人炮火猛烈(除了洗碗槽外,各式各样的炮弹齐发);现在指太多的东西

 

knock off   停止

ex.

Knock it off. I can't stand this anymore. 停止吧!我再也不能忍受了。

The typhoon knocked the power line off. 台风把高压线给吹掉了。

If you knock off x in this equation, you will end up with the final solution. 

如果你把 x 从这个式子给消去的话, 你就会得到最后的答案。

know you better   多了解你一些

 

M.F.E.O Made For Each Other 绝配,天造地设

 

nothing even remote 连个影子都没有

 

on top of that 除此之外(包含的除外) 当在讲 on top of that 都还会特别强调加强语气,通常能表现出一种夸大的语气来吸引听者的注意。

ex.

I ate salad, soup, steak and pudding. On top of that, I drank two cups of coffee.

我吃了沙拉,汤,牛排和布丁,除此之外,我还喝了两杯咖啡。

Her fiancé has five houses and two luxury cars. On top of that, he has 1 billion dollars in the bank.

她的未婚夫不但有五栋房子和二部豪华轿车,银行里还有十亿元的存款。

 

on the house 免费

 

right after / right behind   随后

ex.

I have another class right after this. 我随后(下一堂)还有课。

I'm sorry, but I have another class right after this.  很抱歉耶, 我下一堂还有课。

There is another bus right behind this one.  下一辆公车随后就到。

 

TANSTAAFL  There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.  天下没有免费的午餐/天上不会掉馅饼

 

teach one's grandma to suck eggs 班门弄斧

ten to one 十之八九, 很有可能

 

turn out 变成

ex.

That project turned out to be a big flop. 那个计划变成一个大失败。

If you multiply the first equation by 2, the two equations will turn out to be exactly the same.

如果你把第一个式子乘以 2, 这两个式子就会完全一样。

 

work on   练习 (注:用在不同的地方就有不同的意思)

ex.

I have to work on your name. 我必须练习(发出)你的名字。

Are you finished or still working on it? 你吃完了吗?还是要继续用?

The doctor is still working on his patient医生还在医治他的病人

 

work out   解决 / 作出来 / 成功 / 运动(通常是指在健身房所作的运动)

(注:用在不同的地方就有不同的意思)

ex.

We have to work this problem out by tomorrow. 我们必须在明天之前解决这个问题。

Let's work out some plans for the holiday. 让我们为假期拟定一些计划。

I don't know if this program is gonna work out. 我不知道这个程式会不会成功。

I don't feel this relationship is gonna work out.  我觉得我们不可能有结果。

 

山寨版的假名牌是 knockoff
山寨明星脸是 lookalike
山寨的艺术作品是 spoof

 

 

你可能感兴趣的:(english)